R.I.P.: Bill Hayes Has Died

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Per TheWrap:

❝ One of the longest-running characters on the beloved soap opera, Hayes starred as Doug Williams since 1970 and continued playing him as the foundation of the Williams-Horton family throughout his life for over 50 years and 2,000 episodes, the last of which aired December 2023. ❞

"the last of which" makes it appear as if the Christmas episode(s) were his final appearances, which I kind of felt when I watched them.

• Members

These outlets usually just go to IMDb for episode count information.  IMDb is not an accurate source when it comes to daytime soaps for the number of episodes an actor has appeared in.

Though in this case it looks like Bill's number is pretty close to what Jason47 has on his website.

Edited by jcar03

• Members
GOODBYE, BILL

Please register in order to view this content

Before television existed, Bill enlisted in the Navy Air Corps the moment he turned 18 in June 1943. He spent the last two years of World War II training to be a fighter pilot. Soon after the war ended, he became part of the fabric of television, first as a singer on "Your Show of Shows." In 1955, his rendition of "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" hit # 1 on the Billboard charts for five weeks. In 1970, he was cast as Brent Douglas (aka Doug Williams) on "Days of Our Lives", a role he would continue to play, off-and-on, over the course of the next 54 years. It was thanks to "Days" that he met Susan Seaforth. They married in 1974, and their characters married on "Days" in 1976.

I found out five days ago that things were not going well. I spent the past five days reminiscing, remembering the time I was first put into contact with Bill years ago. I found out then that the man fans saw on "Days" for the past six decades was just as you saw him on screen: genuine, caring, full of life...a wonderfully nice man. He was so pleased to be sent his first script page from his debut episode in 1970 and immediately signed it for me. Through the years, we would stay in touch via email. He rarely took more than a day to respond back. As such a long-time fan of "Days", I was always in awe that he was just an email away if ever I had a "Days" question or just wanted to say hello. I will always cherish his friendship. My condolences to Susan, his children and the rest of his family.

• Members

While not unexpected, Bill Hayes' passing hurts. My heart goes out to his wife, Susan, and the extended Days family as well as his real-life loved ones.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, I went for DAVY CROCKETT immediately, too! 

I am so sad. But, I have been very concerned with him being offstage so much in December.

So sorry for Susan to have to go for what I'm sure will be many years without him. 

His Doug Williams features strongly in much of my earliest soap memories.

May light perpetual shine upon him. May he find heaven to be the perfect place for a song & dance man looking for a new place to rest his head.