GH: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

How awful. I’m not a fan, but this young woman lost her mother in real life. I don’t care how much someone loved Bobbie Spencer. Let her have some peace.

Me too. I also wanted the bullying by Charlotte and how everyone chose to react to it once he came out to be played. Because that is real life, and that’s what soaps do best. And it was a realistic angle soaps haven’t done before- their young ages and the bullying by a relative/classmate due to him being LGBTQ.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I loved this episode! 

All four Davis girls in a room together.

Sasha and Cody together.

BLQ, Lois, and Tracy in a room together.

Spinelli alone makes an episode worth watching. A Maxie-Spinelli revival is the only thing that would make Maxie interesting to me.

Edited by Aragorn

• Members

I was wondering what all the hoopla was about so I watched the episode on Hulu.

I also haven't seen GH in ages so I was unfamiliar with half of the cast.

First off the sets on GH are so ugly and cheap.

Aiden coming out to his mom was sweet.

Is it that easy nowadays to come out?

I felt as nice as the scenes were they weren't realistic.

Has Aiden crush appeared on screen?

• Members

For many kids it isn't, but for many it is or can be. This isn't the 80s or the 90s. It's not some fantasy and all, it's the kind of behavior many accepting parents now try to model for kids like that. Which is why it was so important and touching to see GH model it for its audience,  the same way it taught them about AIDS, etc.

• Members

Exactly. While certainly some kids still have rough coming outs, there is still some bullying, homophobia etc, much of the country has changed overall for the better since the days of Luke and Noah on ATWT. Way back when Lucas and Luke had their coming out stories, very few parents would have acted like Liz did today, but in 2023 it's different. The scenes we saw between Aiden and Liz, is a fairly accurate representation of the progress that's been made. 

Just my own personal experience, I have noticed how much has changed. I grew up in a conservative rural farming town. I was in high school in the early 2000s and was not out. I knew that if I was, I would have been bullied, and likely beat up. Today, my old high school (which is still a small conservative rural farming town) has a student LGBTQ Club and for June, paints the rock out in front in pride colors. In my day, if we had tried to paint the rock in pride colors, it would have been vandalized with the letters F, A, and G within the first day. 

Edited by wingwalker

• Members

I understand that coming out is easier than it was 30 and 40 years ago, but it's also true that it isn't that easy for every gay kid. Not everyone has a parent as loving and as easy as Liz -- that's all I was saying.

There's still a world out there where it isn't this easy, or easy at all.