Y&R August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Y&R is lucky enough to end up with women like Hilary, Imani and Audra, but they have no idea what to do with them because they are obsessed with a small group of characters. They end wasting them because Victoria, Phyllis, Abby and the rest of the gang.

I want to know more about Audra's past. Is that even her real name? Or did she make up a brand new persona to erase her blue-collar past? She could be a new Jill (going after Ashley's Tucker?) and bring some relatives to Genoa City. The show could use some not-80s filthy rich characters. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the show really has something with ZS. Even when the writing is super thin, she manages to elevate it and give it more life. I, too, would love to learn her backstory. The character has so much potential, and there's so many interesting directions they could take her.

• Members

As far as I know, that's still the case -- the writer has the 13-week cycle to use the guarantee.  It could've changed with the new "cost-cutting measures" and we haven't heard about it yet.  

I think a person who's serious about acting would be foolish to sign a contract with such a low guarantee, because as you noted, it stunts the actor's ability to seek other jobs.  

When that boy from "Bold & the Beautiful", Jacob Young, was working on "All My Children" and living in NYC in about 2006, he was offered the role of the singing lamp in the Broadway musical "Beauty & the Beast".  He played the part for about four months.  BUT he could never appear in the Wednesday afternoon matinee for the little kids, because "All My Children" had him under contract and expected him to be available every weekday afternoon in case he was needed to tape.  His understudy had to take each Wednesday afternoon performances on Broadway.  Jacob Young could do each nightly performance, and the weekend matinees, but never the Wednesday matinee.

For one episode a week, I probably wouldn't make myself available to the show five days a week, all day, unless I was retirement-aged, or unless I had another paying gig at night.    

• Members

Vixens played by actresses of color.

At least Mishael Morgan got an Emmy out of her return as Amanda, and has moved on to bigger and better things. Even though her character wasn't a vixen, Sasha Calle has also moved on to bigger and better things.

• Members

Something tells me Audra created an identity to be suitable for corporate America. I could see her thinking perhaps her real surname is "too ethnic," and she was having a hard time getting hired until she decided to change it, and that's when Tucker came through. Maybe she tried to send money home to her working-class family but feeling she had turned her back on not only them but their culture, they told her to stop sending it if it meant she continued with this facade.

I wouldn't mind if eventually they brought on a younger brother or sister and perhaps a salt of the earth mother who has no problem reminding Audra where she comes from.

Edited by Forever8

• Members

This sounds like a type of recasting of the Jill Foster story, albeit a story where we encounter the person as already having attained a foothold in the corporate world, unlike Jill whose climb into the corporate sphere took place onscreen for viewers to watch. And of course, the aspect of ethnicity and race could lurk in the background (Y&R would never write a story where these issues are prominent, and they don’t have the capability to write such a story anyway). From what I managed to see of Audra, it seemed like the show seemed content to keep the character as a “side piece”, a calculating and charismatic one, but a side piece, nonetheless.

Can ZS break out of that mold that has been cast for her character, the way that MM managed to, for a period of time? Who knows, but even in MM’s case, the actress can do only so much, without the writing to back her up.

• Members

Yeah, that hair grab was the high point for Mia IMO. That was the moment when I became a fan. I wanted to see her snatching more weaves around Genoa City but unfortunately the show saw her in such a limited way (meaning only as the spoiler for Abby/Arturo and Sharon/Rey). Her introduction felt very stereotypical “fiery Latina,” right down to how she was styled, but I felt like Noemi Gonzalez was coming into her own, adding layers and depth, right when the show was disposing of her. It’s a sad pattern for Y&R.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

8-9

CBS know they are irritating with their posting episodes acting up again...meanwhile B&B is good as gold. 

That said...I guess it says something that I don't feel lost regardless.

So this drama with Tucker...has been interesting. I don't know where it's going to go, but does this mean that Phyllis won't be going after Diane...cuz I would be shocked if she doesn't. And it does appear to be coming out gradually. I can only assume that will cause drama at the wedding. 

I was shocked to see Jack vs Abby over Ashley getting married. I was surprised he did not even know. Perhaps I would have thought Ashley had thrown it in his face where she was getting married. Guess not.

I like that even know it's Sharon/Chance that Chance is still in Summer's orbit. So...hmmmm.

I will always live for Christine vs Phyllis. ALWAYS. So I have been enjoying Christine with her claws out. And I have love seeing Heather back in the form of Vail Bloom. To many more appearances. And they gave them a COURT SET!!! LOVED. But now...Phyllis is out??? Not shocked, but smh. And awww to the Paul mention. So are he and Christine finally going to break up?

Olivia...who I liked the mention between Nikki and Victoria...continues to be the missing link to this whole Nate drama.