Y&R August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

"Desolate and poverty-stricken"? Huh??? Y&R  has problems, including set problems, but the show does not look like there's no budget. I completely disagree with that.

The discussion today about baby Aria's hearing was so bad. What a botched way to introduce this.

I have no problem with a story about a baby's hearing loss, but why wouldn't Tessa and Mariah clap or bang a pot to see if she reacted. Their confusion made no sense.

Neither did Sharon's "I'm sure she was just tired! Everything is fine!" NO parent would react that way.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but Y&R is looking pretty basic to me.

Limited number of sets used repeatedly. Characters are always at Society,GCAC, Jazz lounge and Crimson Lights, especially awkward when they are discussing mergers and other business plans. Often they'll be seen at several of these venues in the one work day.

Set decoration...look at the artwork and decoration and furniture at the penthouse and Chancellor estate as examples.

The shrinking of the Chancellor set where if there are more than 2 characters there , they are all crowded in.

No homes or offices for a lot of characters.

Using an identical room at GCAC for different characters w/o bothering to redress it.

A few extras only so places look empty.

Lack of U/5 and day players so Jabot and Newman for example,don't present as at all realistic as workplaces.

No staff or assistants for supposedly wealthy characters. We hear about events eg meetings with doctors/adoption agents etc rather than seeing them.

Characters clothing is generic and cheap looking.

Just some  impressions ...

• Members

I understand the budget reasons behind the hotel room, but it drives me nuts. Can't they at least change the decor up. It's especially glaring when they show multiple characters in the same room in the one episode. How much time would it take to switch out a plant or...anything...so it looks like a different room.

• Members

I like Mariah and Tessa, but I agree they aren’t leads and I also don’t like they are always given such somber storylines, and here we go again with Aria’s deafness. It doesn’t utilize Grimes’ talents properly and while Cait has grown on me Tessa is always so weepy. 

Sigh to also wasting MG’s talents as Adam…there’s nothing new here to see. 

• Members

I feel like going all the way back to Justin Hartley's Adam, there's been a problem defining just how evil the character should be. 

When he was first introduced, as played by MM, Adam was an awful guy.  Then, he was a lovable scamp. Then, he was justifiably angry due to sibling rivalry.  And, now, it feels like they've never achieved a balance between making Adam an antagonist and giving him enough justification to maintain some sympathy from the audience. 

Mark Grossman plays intensity so well, that it is difficult to think of Adam as anything but a brooding, despicable, ingrate.  But, the writers keep inventing ways for us to pity Adam and thereby make him more likable.  Which, to me, destabilizes the character.

• Members

@1974mdp She's definitely been Cassified. It's a real shame because Mariah's backstory, her sexuality and that she didn't grow up surrounded by rich folks make her an interesting outlier to the rest of GC. It's disappointing that Terriah is in the forced bubble because somehow they aren't like real couples - that cheat, betray, etc.

It'd be far better if, say, Mariah had a fling with Kyle. With AL as Summer, the Mariah/Summer rivalry could be reignited on a whole new level.  Even Mariah/Devon, etc. CG is utterly wasted.

• Members

Mal Young obviously recognized her talent and featured her a lot, but didn’t help her by making her this sainted figure who was moral center of the show giving heartwarming monologues to the camera like she was Alice Horton. (For JG, that role became Billy for a while.) Now Mariah is in a same-sex romance they can’t fully dramatize (even though her blistering coming-out scenes won her that second Emmy) and now is just a talk-to like her mom.

• Members

Wasn’t Mariah supposed to be sexually fluid? Why can’t she have a fling with Kyle? Or with Daniel, for that matter? Or is Lily in yet another sacrosanct relationship that can’t be touched? and the fact that she is Cassie’s twin and Cassie had a crush on Daniel, which always made Daniel feel somewhat guilty about her death and how it happened. Also,,Daniel just happens to be Summer’s brother. That could be unexpected and twisted at the same time.

What am I saying? Y&R doesn’t write that type of emotional complexity in their stories anymore.

• Members

@DramatistDreamer Yes on Daniel/Mariah - so many angles there! When Mariah came to town, I believe Daniel was off-canvas. I know there were a couple of brief scenes squeezed in during one of MG's visits. The aftermath changed Daniel's life and, deep down Mariah must resent Daniel because of the way she lost the twin she never met. Throw in Summer, Sharon AND Phyllis, who got Nick in the Cassie aftermath. With MG back, a Daniel/Mariah link could be an incredibly compelling story based on real history. 

People claim CG has been challenging to pair with male actors, which is what's been said about ED. Right now, CG has excellent chemistry with two actors on canvas - MG + MM.

Maybe after CG's maternity leave, she'll be given better opportunities.