Y&R August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Also, I wonder if Elena will try and take down Nate? 

"You see, Nate, these games you keep playing are going to eventually backfire on you, and they are going to burn you down to the ground. And who knows? Maybe I’ll be the person to light the fire.”

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LOL…At face value at least this is at least juicy/scandalous compared to garbage like Kyle & Theo’s secret about that “big terrible thing we did in NYC”, Ashland’s mystery past, and the death of Amanda’s father (which completely played out off screen). 

Amen!

• Members

Elena has been such a bland character since her arrival. It'd be fun to see her turn evil and become obsessed with taking Nate down and maybe stealing Devon back from Abby.

There's a lot I take issue with on the show right now, but one thing I have been enjoying if all the emphasis on the Abbott family again. The Newmans dominated storylines for so long with whomever was left on the Abbott side getting storyline scraps.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy Ashley and Tucker together, but TSJ is the first actor ED has had any chemistry with in what feels like forever.

I'm excited to see what Diane cooks up next because I just can't believe she's truly left all of her bad girls behind, and I can see Audra joining the family mix.

I've always wanted to see more Tracy though, and it would be so great to see BM finally get a true story of her own again.

• Members

Speaking of Abbotts,

https://soaphub.com/young-restless/news ... ll-smiles/

Michael Maloney interviews Peter Bergman about Jack marrying Diane,
and working with Susan Walters
- interviewed for Soaphub

In November 2021, Bergman was recuperating from an eye injury but any discomfort he was feeling was soon alleviated after receiving a phone call from head writer/co-executive producer Josh Griffith and Danielle Unger, Director Current, CBS.

“They wanted to talk to me about this person they wanted to bring back,” Bergman says, referring to the decision to resurrect the role of Diane who would once again be played by Walters. 

"I had been banging this drum for a really long time,” Bergman shares. He concurs with the notion that Y&R is based on two powerful families — the Abbotts and the Newmans. Alas, the Abbotts on the scene around this time were primarily Jack and Billy (Jason Thompson). Bergman recalls that Griffith and Unger shared with him that “that’s what we’re trying to fix.”

“I owe so much to those two for the prominence of the Abbott family [today],” Bergman cheers. “Bringing Jabot back. Bringing back the Abbott family. And they brought Susan back. And Peter Bergman is very happy.”

Danielle Unger
Director in Current Programming for CBS
May 2022 – Present

As a Director in Current Programming for CBS, I oversee The Young and the Restless.
I cover all aspects of the show including reading and giving notes on all scripts, outlines and long story documents. Watching the production feed and giving notes and feedback. I maintain relationships with the Executive Producer and Head Writer, Producers, Writing Staff, Publicists and other key Creatives. I also collaborate with various divisions on the show, at CBS and at Sony including PR and Marketing, Casting, Program Practices, Research, Scheduling, Legal and Business Affairs to ensure communication is maintained across all divisions.As a Director in Current Programming for CBS, I oversee The Young and the Restless. I cover all aspects of the show including reading and giving notes on all scripts, outlines and long story documents. Watching the production feed and giving notes and feedback. I maintain relationships with the Executive Producer and Head Writer, Producers, Writing Staff, Publicists and other key Creatives. I also collaborate with various divisions on the show, at CBS and at Sony including PR and Marketing, Casting, Program Practices, Research, Scheduling, Legal and Business Affairs to ensure communication is maintained across all divisions.

• Members

Peter is happy as long a Peter is front burner. Even if it means a ridiculous back from the dead story.

Danielle Unger ...ok... this woman is not earning her no doubt very large salary if she allows some of what happens in script and onscreen. I'd love to read her notes.

• Members

I always enjoyed Ashley & Brad. I liked them together. But I did start watching the show in 1999, so maybe someone who watched when Brad was with Traci could not stand watching Brad with Traci's sister or whatnot. But I enjoyed them. Hated when Brad slept with Olivia.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Count me as one of those people who thought that Ashley and Brad were gross. It feels as if that was the beginning of casting Traci as the one who would be stripped of all that was closest to her. She is, after all, the only Abbott who has lost her only child and was expected to bounce back and be the bigger person, giving Colleen’s heart to Victor Newman, who never had much use for her in her final years. When Ashley terminated her pregnancy, that sent her into a tailspin of grief and mental breakdown and instability for at least a year. Traci was never afforded that type of onscreen grieving experience. 
Ashley was portrayed as this great noble beauty but she built a life with her sister’s former husband and Traci just had to learn to deal with it. If Ashley hadn’t been so ill when the affair (or was it a ONS?) between Olivia and Brad happened, I doubt I would have felt as sorry for Ashley that her marriage to Brad went south. If anything, I expected better from Olivia in terms of valuing her friendship with a woman who she had described as her best friend and it struck me as sad that one of the few close friendships between two women would come apart because of a man (Brad always seemed flexible morally, so I never expected much from him). Otherwise, I never expected Ashley and Brad’s marriage to last-not by a long shot, which was fine by me.

I thought that EF and KSJ had an easy chemistry, seemed like the actors trusted and enjoyed working with each other but it seemed as if the show put the, together as somewhat of an afterthought, seeing how both characters were unattached at the time and the two actors, who seemed to have great respect for one another and got along well, took up the opportunity with gusto.

• Members

ED's acting style doesn't lend itself to Ashley being a heroine/romantic lead female. That's why Bill Bell struggled to write a viable love interest for Ashley. Recall the pairings with Brian, Eric, Marc all tanked, and I found the pairing with Steven didn't really work. Bill Bell saw that EB was a match for ED's acting style, that's why Victor/Ashley worked during ED's original run. 

With Ashley/Brad, Bill Bell knew that 1985-1988 Don Diamont was no match acting-wise for ED so he didn't put Ashley/Brad in each other's orbit romantically until Brenda Epperson was in the role. I didn't like that Ashley and Traci became romantic rivals especially since Bill Bell introduced the Abbott daughters as having a good relationship and initially kept them in separate orbits as far as their romances and romantic rivals go.

• Members

I agree. I am pretty sure Bell originally was contemplating making Traci the daughter of Brent Davis (when he was running around with just a generic baby picture) and I'm so glad they didn't go that way. She already didn't look like the rest of the family and wasn't involved in the family business, and it would have been so easy to have her fade away if that happened. It made more sense to have that happen to beautiful, strong, Ashley. 

Traci was always treated as the ugly duckling with Lauren in her ear telling her Danny would never love her and getting used by her professor. Brad was the hot guy who actually liked her. I always thought Brad had only used her for money, but now that so much 80s footage has come out, I can see that was not how it played out on screen. There's some subtext nodding to that but he also appears to have genuine feelings. And then they played so many scenes, including on her own Honeymoon, where women flirt with Brad and then realize he's with Traci and act disgusted and shocked (unpopular opinion: I don't think DD is that hot... the remarks were as OTT as the ones about Cricket!). Given that, I thought it was terrible for Ashley to get together with her sister's big love, when Ashley had the pick of so many men. And of course the Olivia thing was so gross and a step even beyond that.