It's Official, Meredith Viera replaces Katie Couric

R!ck

• Members

Meredith's contract at The View ends in August and Katie won't star on CBS until the fall. My guess is thats when Meredith will start at Today as well.

I think this is an excellent choice and I'm SO HAPPY for Meredith. She will definitely be missed at The View, she was the heart and soul of that show. But I'm happy for her, Bitsy (Elizabeth) sucks and Star is annoying as all hell. I'm glad the most talented (sans Barb) is going on to bigger and better things.

Today couldn't have picked a better person, now I just wonder who will replace Meredith on The View. It will be EXTREMELY difficult. Hopefully it won't be as bad as Elizabeth.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right, Vieria's not coming until the fall, I just read it.

That means it's probably going to coincide with the expiration of her gig at "The View."

So sad to see her go. :(

But, what does this mean for "Millionaire?" Now THAT'S the big question.

• Members

Not only nominated, but WON! And that's not fair to disregard Meredith's contribution to the game show genre. She is the only woman who has helmed a weekday game show for over three years. When Meredith came on board as host, she infused life into a dead concept that was ran into the ground by ABC. She was sympatheitc to the contestants, established good chemistry and likability with everyone on the show. She's so warm and caring on MILLIONAIRE and THE VIEW. I will totally follow her to TODAY.

I just don't get what's with all the hating on Meredith. She's so [!@#$%^&*] awesome and will be a much better fit than Katie.

• Members

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! lol.

Back that train up, bellcurve.

I was completley on board with everything you said until that last line.

I disagree that she'll be better than Katie. Katie's in a class all her own. She's not able to be replaced and no one could replace her if she tried. It's just not going to happen.

That said, I'm looking forward to Meredith's contribution to "Today" just because we know it's coming, so why not think positive about it? But I do like her personality and I agree that she completely changed "Millionaire." A BAJILLION times better than that idiot Regis Philbin.

Welcome to NBC, Meredith!

(It's always interesting when personalities associated with a certain network switch game altogether..can't wait to see what "NBC Meredith" is like!!!)

• Members

You are right about Viera putting life into MILLIONAIRE because I could've just shot Regis Philbin (HE'S A ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS) but I just really can't see how you can win an emmy for just hosting a show. :blink::blink: That's all I'm saying...but hey if she deserved it more power to her. B)

• Members

Katie Couric is MILES above Merideth. Merideth would be lucky to lick Katie's boots.

Katie is America's Sweetheart. Merideth is a horny housewife who has become the female version of Ryan Seacrest. No Talent. Just In the right place at the right time. Too many times.

• Members

What do you mean Shawn? I'm really not getting the Meredith hate. She was a serious journalist for YEARS before she joined The View. She's turned down high profile jobs in the past because she wanted to be with her family. She also has been EXTREMELY supportive of her husband who has MS and has been a good spokewoman for that. I don't see how anyone could have anythign negative to say about that. She brings humor and heart to The View along with great family values. I didn't want to bash Katie Couric in her moment to shine, but she's a stepford wife, I don't see the big fuss. I've personally prefered Diane Sawyer all these years.

I'm completely confused here. People have won Emmys for hosting all the time. Look at Oprah, Martha Stewart, Ellen Degeneres and Regis who you mentioned. Hell, The View is up for an Emmy this year as well as Soap Talk. I don't really understand what you mean I guess.

I think some people are failing to realize that she WON'T be doing what she does on The View. They are two completely different types of shows. When Meredith was cast on The View, they had no idea she be so frank (and hilarious) because she was known as an uber serious journalist.

ANd BTW, why is Katie so irreplaceable? WHat about Barbara frickin Walters who was in the seat just as long? Katie is just very cute and the press loves that. I haven't seen anything to suggest she's above other journalists.

• Members

The View needs to bring back Lisa Ling. The show went downhill when she left and they brought on Elisabeth...I can't stand that !@#$%^&*].

I can see the View getting cancelled anyway. Why has ABC kept it on after all these years?? It will never beat The Price is Right.

Archived