It's Official, Meredith Viera replaces Katie Couric

R!ck

• Members

zap2it.com

The daytime-TV dominoes continued to fall Thursday, as NBC moved quickly to fill Katie Couric's not-vacant-yet spot on the "Today" set.

As was widely expected, NBC named "The View" co-host Meredith Vieira as Couric's replacement. She'll join Matt Lauer, Ann Curry and Al Roker on the top-rated morning show in September.

NBC chief Jeff Zucker, who on Wednesday said he "couldn't be happier for" Couric after she announced she was leaving "Today" for CBS news, is apparently still walking on sunshine after hiring Vieira.

What do you think about Meredith Vieira replacing Katie Couric?

"This is an announcement that I couldn't be happier to be making," he says in a statement. "Meredith's vast experience as an award-winning journalist, as well as talk show host, make her the ideal candidate for this job. She joins a distinguished legacy of 'Today' show co-anchors: from Barbara Walters to Jane Pauley to Katie Couric."

"Before Jeff changes his mind, I am honored to accept this amazing opportunity," Vieira says. "Not only is the 'Today' show a great program within a superb news organization, it's also where America turns to begin the day. I look forward to joining Matt, Ann and Al in giving America the best each morning."

She also gets the thumbs-up from her co-host-to-be. "Meredith is a real pro, and I think it speaks volumes that NBC has brought her here to 'Today,'" Lauer says. "I have been her fan for years and I can't wait to be her partner."

Vieira, 52, has been with "The View" since it first hit the air in 1997. She also hosts the syndicated version of the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

She has solid news credentials as well, having won several News Emmys as a correspondent for CBS newsmagazines "West 57th" and "60 Minutes." During her decade at CBS News, she also filled in as anchor of the network's morning show and was a correspondent for the "CBS Evening News." She moved to ABC in 1993, where she was the chief correspondent for its newsmag "Turning Point" prior to joining "The View."

Couric is leaving "Today" at the end of May, when her contract with NBC ends. Vieira emerged as the leading candidate to replace her over the past couple of weeks over current NBC employees like "Weekend Today" co-host Campbell Brown and MSNBC anchor Natalie Morales.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

w/e. Does this mean that The View will get cancelled soon? I hope so. I used to watch that show religiously, but it's such a joke now.

GMA is better anyway. Diane Sawyer is pretty hot IMO.

and CBS is stupid for getting rid of Bob Sheffer. Who cares if he's ancient?? He was doing a good job replacing Dan Rather.

• Members

I think this leaves the View in a bad state, and it'll only get worse when Frons gets to replace her. I hope it's not Susan Lucci or something stupid like that. They need another 50 year old working mother type or the show's sunk

• Members

Good for her. THE VIEW is on a one way trip to cancellation and I always thought Viera was "too good" for THE VIEW.

Moving to TODAY is much more respectable and will only increase her exposure AND her paycheck.

I can totally see Meredith and Matt getting along VERY well!

• Members

I've never really liked Katie Couric much (she comes off as totally fake... NOBODY can be THAT nice), so Meredith is a good replacement, IMO.

I really like her on The View, and is BY FAR the most solid cast member (minus cameo-ing Barbara Walters).

Good Luck to her.

• Members

In all the times I've read this report and others like it I've seen nothing that says Veiria will quit "The View." I mean, Couric is leaving in May so that means Veiria will have to be in the new 'hot seat' at around that time, and surely her contract with ABC doesn't expire just so conveniently close to that date? What if she's cross network? Who knows what surprises are in store. I just haven't read anything that says she's leaving "the View."

• Members

I'll miss Katie :( even though I don't see The Today Show much anymore (too damn early and I don't need to be up early anymore, thank God). I've always loved Katie Couric and Barbara Walters as my newslady divas ;) Meredith Vieira has a great personality, but she'll need to start toning down her "pervertedness" starting NOW, because some of her zany conversation and antics from The View may keep people from taking her seriously and as a credible news source.

IA that The View has gone down in quality and entertainment. Starr Jones is too full of herself and Elizabeth Hasslebeck has the personality of a dishrag (Lisa Ling was dull, too, but at least she's kicking ass as a hard-hitting journalist now).

We just need a different avenue for Joy Behar to spew her awesome wit, jokes, and banter and The View can be cancelled. Where could Joy go?

I read somewhere recently that 3 or 4 of The View ladies have their contracts up soon, so it doesn't surprise me that Meredith will be free to jump networks.

Archived