Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Welcome back, Lani!

I’m glad that she, John and Steve are still on the case and realizing how many holes there are in what they think happened to Abe. It’s almost like the three of them are the smart people as opposed to Rafe

Please register in order to view this content

With any luck, that shitty ass story will be over soon. 

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't follow Ron on social media and only see what's brought over here usually.  The reason I think he's burnt out and/or lazy is because he continually uses the same ideas and stories in every show he's written.  He uses the same tropes again and again and again.  Perhaps he's not lazy and just not creative at all?  Lol.  There has also been a steep decline in his writing for Days since he started.   I think RC was very good his first year on Days and has run out of steam.  Again, it's the same issue he had at OLTL and GH. So while I don't know him personally and don't know if he's truly lazy or dismissive there is a very clear pattern of behavior that he follows with any show he headwrites.  He also seems to be very defensive and highly sensitive to criticism.  I don't think Ron is actively tanking Days, but I also don't think he's super motivated to create good storytelling either.  I think Ron just basically coasts along doing the bare minimum to keep his job.

• Members

Is today's Dimera mansion supposed to be the original mansion Stefano bought and moved into back in 1983?  Or is it a different place all together?  I don't recall Stefano ever moving to a new house, but perhaps he did.  If my memory is correct, Stefano's original mansion was very near a lake, and had a tunnel that led to the basement of Doug's Place night club.   

• Members

According to our resident historian (pardon the pun) @JAS0N47

prnseoodtSm,07i2mgr0m0el216ctm11oeh8N644h3b6ff vm0u7h76 7i32 DiMERA MANSION SET GOES ON HIATUS AFTER 26-YEAR RUN...OCTOBER 3, 1988-OCTOBER 30, 2014

Today's episode featured the debut of the new DiMera Study set, which means the end, at least for now, of the DiMera Mansion set, which had been a "Days" staple since it first debuted as the Donovan Mansion set on October 3, 1988. After Shane left town in 1992, Kimberly (and later Bo and Carly) lived in the mansion in 1993. It became the DiMera Mansion when the family was first seen there on February 3, 1994. In recent interviews, Lauren Koslow stated the new study set is being used because it is smaller and quicker to build and take apart. The DiMera Mansion's final appearance was for Sami's last scene on October 30, 2014. It had been the second longest-running set in use on "Days", besides the Horton Living Room set, which has been in use since the show's pilot episode in 1965

My memory is that the original mansion (where Renee was murdered, and it had the tunnels to Doug's Place) had been Stuart Whyland's (Sarah's biological grandfather) house, but Tony forced him out of town.  Then, after Stefano died the first time, Liz and Neil lived there (meaning that Sarah should have some rights to that house).  Finally, when Stefano returned his company bought a different mansion, formerly Shane's home, which according to cannon is owned by whomever is the CEO of DI, that was used to explain why Gabi owned it for a short time.

In my imagination, this is the same space where Susan and John got married, (and her teeth flew out), but since the renovation in 2021 we are seeing it from the opposite side of the room, which is why the entrance is now stage left.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Ron only has his IG acct now. So, he is much less in contact with fans online. Sure you can leave a message on Instagram but it's not like the back & forth communication of Facebook, or Twitter, or CoSo, or Mastodon, or Post Or plurk, anyway it's very different. When he was on Twitter I thought he had really thin skin, too defensive to be out there. And, the rest of what you're saying about him is what I hear all over from many different people. We call it burn out but perhaps with him, he is only seriously interested in a show when it is brand new to him. And, then he is no longer "galvanized" about it. Just a theory. I was shocked when he posted his missive about being fired from GH at what a level of passion he has for that show. Clearly he does NOT have that kind of passion for DAYS

I thought he put together a good writing team & included 4 African-Americans & 3 long-time veterans & some young new people. Now those first 7 are gone & new we have Al Alaar's wife (?) & Fran Newman's son (?). 

Today's show: Good seeing Lani. And I appreciate her being suspicious. Naturally Kate's a hoot as Lorna DeLorean on "Body & Soul" but Marlena & Kayla were more fun. Having the actor who played young Theo be in the soap within a soap was clever. I hate not knowing anything about Megan's condition but the show does not update every story every day.  Overall today was a good DAYS. No Alex, Leo, Gwen, Coltin, ... their absence makes the soap fan fonder! 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
1 msg instead of 2

• Members

Gabi's pumps were so distracting to me that it was difficult to take the scene seriously. She should have chosen pumps in a mauve with blended hints of gravity gray. Everything on this show feels so weird, though. Nothing seems to happen organically. Kind of like Bold and Beautiful

I see that the latest thing DAYS likes to do after love-making scenes is wrap the guy around in a comforter but have his hairy leg and foot fully exposed while the viewers drool. Colin, Rafe, Xander, and Eric all come to mind. I think the headboards looked all the same for the beds, but I'm not really sure. I did find it weird because I can't remember where Jada and Rafe made love. If Jada is rooming in one of those boarding rooms above Brady Pub, that bedroom looks surprisingly habitable.

Edited by Noel

• Members

Don’t have much to say today except, are they gonna go there with Talia and Chanel? It could be a good story if it’s taken seriously, and if Johnny/Wendy/Tripp are weaved into it.

As for the show in general, this Abe storyline is a perfect example as to why you should never hire someone just because they kiss your ass. 

• Members

Do the ages add up?

If Jerry/Faux Theo was on Body & Soul during Abe's mayoral campaign, wouldn't he have been a teenager?

I find myself amused by the Abe story, except for the conceit that he doesn't like Whitley, but still accepts and forgives everything she says on a daily basis.  Like, the whole story hinges on him not leaving the apartment, and now that he's healed and mobile, there's no logical reason why he wouldn't venture outside while she's gone.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I was thinking the same thing about Jerry.  Is he in his 30's and just looks really good?  He said it was a few years ago, but Whitley clearly said it was 2008, started the tape, talked about the episode and left.  It's not like the episodes jumped around.  Abe was still watching the same episode.

And once again, if this show is happening in 2008 whey is everyone dressed like it's 1984?  Nothing about this little soap in a soap makes sense.