Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When my free Peacock ran out 2 weeks ago, I didn't subscribe. Wanted to see how much I missed DAYS, if at all.

While I admit to checking this board to read the DAYS posts, I can't say I've missed the show -- at all. I don't see one comment that makes me want to return.

• Members

Leo & Gwen working together to turn the tables on Dimitri would at least give them some agency.  They both get abandoned or ignored by every crush that they have in town.  They've got to use those journalism skills for something.

Also, unpopular opinion, I get that many of you don't like the show.  I mean, you say it every single day.  But, perhaps we can find more unique ways of announcing your displeasure?  There's some irony that those who denounce the quality of the writing the most are often the least creative in their critiques.  I'm not trying to gatekeep or silence anyone, I just want a bit more amusement when reading the posts.  May I suggest a pun or a poem? 

But, to anyone who would take personal offense to my feedback, I didn't mean you.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm not sure if it's a Minority Rapport or not but personally I do not find the show worthless or garbage or even the worst its ever been. Yes, I think the show is flawed. Yes, I think there are distinct problems in the writing & in the use of personnel. Yes, I think Ron should either be replaced or be given some great co-HW that he would have to pay attention to, etc. Yes, I know everyone says Ron would quit before doing so.

My biggest criticism of the current show is that we seem to have days when the show is great & we have days when the show is terrible, when what we need is some middle ground for an ordinary day just being ordinary but not lacking in quality.

The writing problems I believe are pacing, balance, off storytelling in the name of comedy or camp that instead are just in poor taste. In terms of casting, the way they use personnel, schedule stories is just bizarre. Also in terms of casting the past year has seen far too many new characters, barely sketched in but immediately put into front burner stories. Last too many stories are just disposables, throwaways. I find that I usually like the show 1 or 2 days per week, which, obviously is not enough to be sustainable long-term. 

• Members

I said it before and I'll say it again...Ron's first year as DAYS headwriter was his best. Mainly because I strongly feel he had someone on his writing team who kept his storytelling in check: story consultant Sheri Anderson. Anderson has had a long and rich history with DAYS; she knew what type of storytelling that work best for the people of Salem but more importantly she was probably a terrific traffic cop at knowing how to direct Ron's style of writing to its best advantage. I could be wrong but I couldn't help but notice the moment Anderson left that's when things began falling apart. Sure Ron is still able to give us fine moments but they are very few and far in between.

I feel what Ron needs is a strong, talented co-writer who has the ability to look at Ron's stories, see the pros and cons, and isn't afraid to tell Ron his stories aren't working because he's going down this road when he should be going down this road. I can't help but wonder what would happen if a writer like Michele Val Jean or Patrick Mulcahey would join his writing staff as co-headwriter. i can't help but think the show would improve.

• Members

Leo and Dimitri - ugh 

Please register in order to view this content

Mainly because Leo is such an asexual character. In order to be sexual you have to have depth and Leo is all surface. There's nothing that grounds him as a rootable character. I mean let's keep it real he's comic relief and not in an entertaining fashion. This is a character that should have been written off a long time ago. The only time the show seemed really interested in the character is when they played with the idea of making Leo John's son. We saw a more human side of Leo and Greg Rikaart was wonderful. But that was a very brief moment.

But I'll be honest one of the main reasons why I'm not liking Leo and Dimitri is that I simply don't find Greg Rikaart sexually appealing. I'm not saying he's unattractive or not handsome. He is good-looking. But I'm sorry he's not hot. Add to that he's playing an unappealing, obnoxious, annoying character that doesn't help him when it comes to his sexual desirability. 

i feel sorry for Dimitri because here we have a character with potential. Instead of pairing him with Leo he should have gotten involved in a triangle with Paul and Andrew. Talk about a rich play of history: a gay love triangle involving a Donovan, a Black, and a DiMera?  i mean c'mon how creative that would have been?? Yes, two of the guys are retcons but most fans have accepted that. But I get it. Probably the main reason why this triangle isn't happening is because Christopher Sean {Paul} won't give the show a full commitment. That's fine.  Recast. As much as I love CS - both as an actor and the fact he's gorgeously HOT - he's not irreplaceable. The fact the show was able to successfully recast Sonny with Zach Tinker is proof the casting department can get it right when they put their heads to it. Recast Paul and give us the story I believe most fans would rather enjoy watching than this upcoming Leo & Dimitri crack. 

Is Quan still writing for the show? When he was there Ron referred to Quan as his right arm. That's nice but I couldn't help but think Quan was nothing more than a "yes" man to Ron's writing. Whatever Ron wanted Quan simply gave in. Not good.

• Members

Here's the last time I captured full writing credits

6-12-23 Closing Credits: All Writers: Ron Carlivati, Ryan Quan, Christopher Dunn, Jeanne Marie Ford, Jamey Giddens, Dave Ryan, Katherine Schock, Fran Myers, Joanna Cohen, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Kirk Doering, David Kreizman, Sonja Alaar (Changes: Jazmen Darnell Brown & Henry Newman are gone. Sonja Alaar is new.) Fran Myers is Script Editor.

Fran Myers & Jeanne Marie Ford are Fi-Core.

NOTE: Henry Newman reappeared. 

• Members

So, another storyline that could have been good completely rushed and squandered. SMH

Leo really should have resisted today, only to give in at a later time, like the night before the wedding perhaps. Not only would it have built sympathy for Leo, it could have also helped build sympathy for Dimitri and explain why he’s in the situation he’s in. Instead, Leo is solidified as the worlds biggest POS and the worlds worst friend. I wish we had writers that knew something about pacing.

But at the same time, Dimitri was quite hot today so part of me can see why Leo gave in so quickly

Please register in order to view this content

But Dimitri’s taste

On other fronts, Chad and Stephanie signed a lease on a shoebox

Alex living across the hall can be a good story too… if they don’t rush it.

How does this team not realize that rushing something ruins it??

As for Xander and Chloe, I wonder if that  really happens in offices during the work day

• Members

So Dimitri and Leo fucked? Not surprised since Leo only cares about himself. 

The article on SOD where Greg Rikaart says he really loves and cares for Gwen is hogwash. 

Leo and Dimitri are giving me Craig and Leo icky vibes all over again.

Like I said I saw zero chemistry with Leo and Dimitri. They put Dimitri with Leo just to give Greg Rikaart, their pet, a storyline.