Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

@j swiftI was fully considering the stories these recasts would get on current days and don't see the point in recasting someone as pivotal as Sami.  The way they right DF's EJ is downright bizarre.

As far as Carrie or Billie being recast I just think it's been so long that they were critical to stories (not counting their BS stuff) that it would be easier to take a different perspective on these characters.  If they were to recast Carrie I would probably ditch Austin all together.  He seems to just bring her down and it would be interesting to see a single Carrie mixing it up with EJ.  It's too bad she's related to everyone else male in her age range besides Rafe though.  Stefan, Li, or Xander could be options for her I suppose.  Billie could also be free of the Bo albatross she carries everytime she rejoins the show and it opens up her love interests quite a bit.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That is very interesting food for thought.

This EJ seems to have no memory of his prior life, his previous feelings about Nicole, Anna, Tony, Clyde, and Abe, or his connection to his children.  The actor is fine, and charismatic, but there is very little resemblance to the original character.

That being said, the character of EJ was never well-developed.  He went from a playboy racecar driver to a lawyer (Remember when Micky was his mentor?  I don't think Maggie does).  Sometimes he was heroic and other times he was cruel.  His motivations were never clear, and the miraculous SORASing meant that he could never interact with Susan.

He's a perfect example of a legacy character that may have made viewers nostalgic, but his return has not been satisfying, and most of the time Stefan makes him feel redundant in terms of plot.  I mean, the whole battle for DI could be between Chad and Stefan, as it was a few years ago, and there is no need for EJ in that story.

Edited by j swift

• Members

At the end of the day a lot of EJ's popularity was because of JS's smoking hot good looks and charm.  Not that DF isn't both those things, but I agree, EJ was always ill-defined.   I don't think DF is doing a poor job with what he's given, but he's not slick or sinister in the way JS's EJ was.  I know a lot of EJ's previous motivations had to do with Sami, Sami vs. Nicole, and his relationship with Stefano, so it makes sense the character is floundering a bit.  The thing is, I don't see JS's EJ ever waiting patiently for Nicole to "love" him or playing silly cat and mouse games with Gabi/Stefan or basically ignoring his only son.   They seem to play DF's EJ almost like he's a little dim.  I could never imagine JS's EJ falling for some of the things DF's EJ has.  A lot of the Dimera stuff falls flat because Stefano isn't around.  Of course that can't be helped, but Stefano was always the glue that helped keep the Dimera family together through all the random children and silly plots.

• Members

Ok, they’re seriously letting Kristen get away with all this crap???

Believe me, if I was Brady, I’d be at that house with a baseball bat and I’d make that bitch tell me where my child is.

Done with Kristen. Just kill her off. Not even the nice friendship scenes with Lani helped her today.  

• Members

It's actually so easy to forget he can act considering how far from the centre of action they keep Shawn!! One can easily think he's there because of his looks just like some others....

I know! I love Stacy and didn't want to see her leave but the writing is just too bad!

Just let her disappear on the Flames like before

Exactly!!! That's why we miss him So Much! Besides that's Why Andre Was Needed! 

• Members

I am not sure Andre is the right person to lead the Dimera family, but at least a solid attempt was made to place him as the next big bad.   His story and his backstory with Tony got very confusing and convoluted quickly.  Andre also never had the laser focus goal of destroying John/Roman/the Bradys and specific love interest (Marlena) to make his scheming clear.  He seemed to just want to destroy people for fun.

There should have been a direct heir to Stefano and the Dimera empire long ago.  Andre always came off too crazy and unhinged and while Stefano was a madman he generally came off scary yet calm.  I think a villianous Tony or Peter would have both been great choices to lead the next generation, but neither had kids.  That leaves EJ as my third choice and if they dropped the great love with Sami and made EJ more evil and his relationship with Sami more obsessive it would give EJ a reason to continue to go after the Brady's and Lucas/Sami.   I personally would have introduced an EJ/Belle obsession years ago and have EJ go against Shawn.  He fits the John/Roman hero type better than Lucas does and the rivalry could have come full circle with the next Dimera after Marlena/John's daughter and the next generation of Bradys.

Now it's just a free for all of Stefano's kids appearing out of the woodwork fighting for control of DE and brainwashing people.  Everyone is out for themselves and their agendas in that family and Stefano was always the cohesion that brought all his children's schemes together before.

• Members

That's exactly what the show presents, add to it that they play some of it for laughs, and it's just not good enough. 

So, today Nurse Whitley finally stated her purpose. She loves Abe & is the only one who can take care of him. Yes, those shades of "Misery" and #1 fan come through. But, it's totally whack. 

Theo's speech is lovely. 

Wait, is this history Chanel brings true? Nurse King was a political supporter, etc.? Okay, so, there is a history. 

What is it the show is doing with music lately?! That funky suspenseful music leading to Lani being at Jerry's door. Then another unusual bit leading to Abe being at the door IN B&S. 

This is a double Alaar day. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Cause it’s stupid lol would you be posting flyers and getting your psychiatrist stepmother involved, if your child was missing and you knew who had her? Or would you do whatever it took to get her back?

I’ll never understand why they don’t use him more 

• Members

On the other hand, the fact that Brady hasn't stuck an airtag on that kid is a real "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" scenario.  I mean, this is hardly the first time that one of his children, girlfriends, or family members has been kidnapped.  You'd think he would spend the 20 bucks to track them on his phone.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Agreed!!!! Let Sydney be A common Straight Girl, I'm enjoy inclusion but there's enough gay characters on Canvas Already, Anyways what's the odds of Having 4 children and Three of them Turning out to be gay??? Or all 4 because sometimes I have my doubts about Johnny!

Please register in order to view this content

But I Mean, While I Am Crazy About Gina, Alison Gave her all to make that Character legendary, and After Her Firing as Phyllis on Y&R I seriously doubt Gina would step Into that territory Again!!! But I would love to see her as an Original Character!!! A Nice Fiery Italian Woman for Example! So her accent (which I love so much) can have a good use!

Edited by Joseph