Days: July 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wouldn't mind a recast Paul, but part of me thinks CS makes Paul so good.  His looks, his charisma, his uncanny mannerisms that remind me of John/Drake-I am not sure Paul is actually that interesting without him lol.   I'd be willing to give someone else a shot though.

• Members

I don't think we need Paul in the mix to be honest - as you said, as a character he's not that interesting to begin with and it's only CS that makes him good. Colton clearly is up for more than a recurring part, so it makes no sense to me why they won't put him on the canvas with Will and Sonny gone. 

Leo just isn't very rootable for a proper love triangle. I don't think anyone takes him seriously - the only time I could ever see him with a love interest is when he's finally being sent off somewhere and it would probably be some rich sugardaddy.

• Members

I'd be happy with a Tognoni recast of Sammi, and I'm good with a Christopher Sean recast, too. I cannot understand the DAYS standard of saving the role for someone who no longer wants it.

As for Sydney being gay, I'm afraid it'd just be another gay character for Carlivati to write poorly for. I've yet to see one gay character or relationship that RC wrote well.

• Members

I think Ali/Sami are in an entirely different category than Paul.   Paul can be recast.  I am not sure Sami could.  I mean, she obviously could be I am just not sure it would be successful regardless who plays her.  We watched Ali grow up and lead the show.  She still seems willing to return for shorter stints.  I just would not go to all that trouble to recast Sami at THIS point.  It is sometimes glaring she's not involved in certain situations, but I am not exactly sure we need a new Sami especially without Lucas and with a recast EJ, who is nothing like JS's EJ.

The obvious solution is to play Belle more for the obligatory Marlena daughter instead.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

@carolineg Yes, you're right. Sami is different, very, not at all like the situation with Paul. I believe every role can be recast but not all roles should be. It's possible Sami is one of those. 

Two things bug me. I think we need Sami & Allyson is never going to be available enough. And, I miss Adrienne. I know Judi loves playing Bonnie, but chile, I miss Adrienne. 

So, it's just hope springs eternal. He wants to be the diversity HW & Salem to be the diversity town. I keep thinking they'll get it right. 

And, I'd love to see Gina working somewhere. Van Hansis, too. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Mhmm, and have Carrie become the "Belle" child, a.k.a. popping in and out more.  The fact Carrie is not played is also disappointing.

And Gina Tognoni, talent-wise, could work as Sami... but she'd be better suited for the role of Billie Reed.  Visually, she'd work well as the daughter of Lauren Koslow.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think Billie for GT is actually a great idea.  It's weird Kate has no children on the canvas right now (except Rex and Lucas sporadic appearances).  

I would almost say recasting Carrie would be easier than Sami.  Not that I want that and I love Christie, but she seems to have completely given up acting (except for pop ins) and Carrie hasn't been prominent in years.

• Members

Poor Lucas, Kristin's been in and out of jail twice since he was sentenced.

He only kidnapped one person, Megan killed a Marlena clone, then kidnapped three women, and spent less than a month behind bars.

Dimitri was an international jewel thief who impersonated a federal investigator in order to control a satellite weapon, and he's not only free, but sleeping around and about to get a large inheritance.

Heck, even Lani's been furloughed...

Also, I am of the opinion that these momentary lapses into recast talk are silly.  Freakin' Meryl Streep could be cast as the new Melissa Horton and the show would still need a compelling story.  Actors are not enough.  And this is a show that needs to look into developing characters, not continuing to delve into the past.  The future is not built on hiring more middle-aged actresses, we need fresh, modern, intriguing women whose lives we want to follow for the next decade.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Exactly.  Kate went from having one child at a time on the canvas to no child; returning Billie would be an excellent idea, and Tognoni would re-ground the character after the past few times Lisa Rinna has been in the role.

Same.  It seems like she's happy in London (if she is still here).  At one point, I almost thought about recasting with Terri Conn, which would allow Austin Peck to be in the role of Austin, but they seem happy on the east coast over the west.  But Carrie would be easier to recast than Sami would be.

• Members

Oh, hell, sure, I miss Carrie, too! And, this is weird, in #SoapTwitter there's a guy who says he'd love having Gina on board but as BILLIE! A brother from another mother shares your way of thinking. I've got a feeling it's not that great a sign we have so many wants from the good ole days instead of all these newbies that seem to breed like cockroaches.