2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn’t see anyone in the industry talking badly about soap actors. Online chatter from the public maybe, but not industry people. I saw plenty of non-daytime folks detailing how the contract is different and lots of soap people joined their fellow SAG-AFTRA folks on the line.

That Variety article is hilarious. They caved because they were losing on all fronts- business aka $$$, the public, and the solidarity and willingness by the unions to go the distance.

• Members

The daytime ratings dip during the summer, which was traditionally a strong period for soaps, does not bode well for anyone hoping for a change in the writing staff at GH who were on strike at the time.

As we all know from history, changes in writing staffs are usually driven by ratings, not creativity.

Edited by j swift

• Members

A lot of people have cited the last strike in thinking things will change, but I think those days are over. I don’t expect any changes at any soap unless a HW chooses to step down. 

The days of a revolving door, new talent or trying to be great seem over. As long as they can product a PG show under budget, that’s all they seem to care about these days. 

• Members

I'm not sure how much anyone expected a change for quality reasons...in my case it was more wondering if this would be down to them finding the right time to make a move and just hiding behind the strike aftermath. I was thinking mostly of DAYS, as Corday has dumped so many headwriters over the years and it feels like Ron has already been there too long as it is. I guess if Corday is more hands off now, he may not care.

• Members

Thanks. Vulture has had some great reporting on this story, more than I had expected from them. 

I don't know what anyone gets out of The Daily, beyond the fascinating soap opera that is Michael Barbaro's personal life. 

The part about how DGA and SAG were expected to fold (and boy did DGA fold) reminds me of how many did expect the worst of Fran Drescher. At least she's proven them wrong.

• Members

Boo boo Drew should understand that she’s become writer’s kryptonite at this time. I am not saying she can’t change this. Perhaps some genuine ways to make amends (not her saccharine-laced apologies) might turn the situation around.

Part of me (the wicked part) fantasizes about her show being booted off the air by a scripted show, even an old one.