2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lord. You can like Drew Barrymore and admit she made a stupid choice with the multiple weepy video messages. All that did was embarrass her and cause her to keep stepping on rakes in public for several days.

I like Drew. I hope her show continues. And the public loves Drew Barrymore, she will survive. But the way she mishandled this situation is a blunder largely of her and the network's own making. I understand the nuances of that situation re: her show's survival and I don't think she needed to be raked over the coals quite as much as she was, but the fact is it was overall an unforced error on her show's part. And in terms of strategy, turning the pressure up on Drew's show caused all the other talk shows on daytime to back down. That was a major factor in getting the writers to win big. It worked. Drew's career will recover. But if she wanted to keep those writers, she should've not gone back. It's that simple.

• Members

Cheers @Vee

It doesn't matter who made the decision, Drew chose to go front facing and basically say that her show could carry on without writers in two different videos.  No other talent in a similar situation did that.  Even Bill Maher only released a statement, he didn't try to glean sympathy from his audience.

On a purely human level, what self-respecting writer would go back to work with her?

• Members

If she'd gone on and did her show despite the backlash I might agree, but come on now, let's not pretend she didn't own up to what she did, and was genuinely sorry for it.

Some of y'all act like she should be strung up by her toenails or something 

I mean this is the same WGA that SAG AFTRA had to basically say "chill dudes" too when they were trying to boycott DWTS

• Members

I believe what I'm saying is that the repercussion fits the offense.  And given how rare it is that there is justice in our random and chaotic universe, it is comforting to watch from afar.

If you say that you can produce your show without writers during the strike, then try to do that after the strike is done. 

Of course, others will take the job.  But, that just proves why a union is necessary.  Because of the scarcity of opportunity, people would be willing to be exploited if they didn't negotiate together.

Edited by j swift

• Members

In fairness, though: They won.

Drew's career will be fine. But she made a series of stupid choices during this period, her show personnel treated people poorly on-set during the strike, and she took her lumps for it. It's not that deep. But I know we agree you can still be a Drew Barrymore fan (as I am) and acknowledge that.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Weird that there are so many comments on the writer’s guild strike and there are tens of thousands of other striking workers, including health care workers on strike with nary a comment on this board. I admit, I have had a lot to say because I got an MFA in writing for the stage (primarily) and screen but I would have thought that people would be as interested in the subject of health care workers on strike because, not everyone is a writer but everyone has an intimate relationship with their health (at some point).

It’s also weird that criticism of certain aspects is a kind of third rail on this board. It was relatively light criticism, it’s not like she was getting the Tyler Perry treatment. Whether her talk show goes on for years or gets canceled in the next season, she’ll be fine, she’ll be able to make bread, as the saying goes.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I've read about some of the strikes (I think Walgreens workers walked off their jobs just a day or two ago) but have been guilty of not focusing more on it. It doesn't help that Twitter is now almost fully unreliable and that was one of my main sources of links due to how biased the news channels and pages are.