2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

NBC is reporting the major holdup on a contract is about AI:

"Hollywood writers and producers have made "major progress" in negotiations to end the strike that has gone on for 145 days, but a major sticking point has been language over the use of artificial intelligence, two sources familiar with the negotiations said Saturday."

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/writers-strike-negotiations-hung-language-ai-sources-say-rcna117041

• Members

They are going to use AI to eventually put everyone out of work - writers and actors, and many others. AI will be used to make many obsolete even outside of the industry. I hope if it is financially feasible the guild holds out as long as possible to help spare us that desolate future. 

(the talking point is often that there's no point in fighting, it's the future...all I have to say to that is - how much are those NFTs worth today?)

• Members

And it was about darned time, too, as she was the entire reason that the Dobsons & New World went to war. The Dobsons had been told they would have 100% freedom in creating this new soap. So, when Bridget determined they could not work together & wanted to fire AHB imagine her shock that she could not do so. AHB had it written into her contract that no one could fire her but NBC. I have never understood why NBC didn't just fire her & solve the situation before it became a ridiculous war! 

"It was impossible for Anne Howard Bailey to get inside my head, and I could not get in her head. She has a darker view of life than I do; I think she thinks of me as Pollyanna, and I think of her as Darth Vader." - Bridget Dobson, about SB

• Members

AI is not to be trusted.. and I see all loopholes being closed when it comes to that... from both the WGA and SAG unions before deals are finalized.

Though I think for SAG unions, I'm guessing they wouldn't mind AI being used as much if they're compensated anytime AI images of performers is used vs just a one time payout.

So it looks as though even though evil Ron C plotted out the holidays that perhaps the scab writers will be the ones to work on the scripts for those episodes.  To me, day to day is just as important as the actual storyline.

• Members

It seems that the writer’s guild got just about all of their demands met. Keep in mind that this will still need to get approval by members who have yet to vote. As for the AI provision, while no one can completely anticipate the future and the direction of AI, it does seem as if this tentative agreement respects compensation terms for the writers regardless of how/if AI is implemented. Also, people need to know that at this time, AI is pretty terrible at doing what a screenwriter does, and even worse at doing what a playwright does. Perhaps because those programming AI are not good at that type of writing. I can’t speak to twenty years from now, but at this present moment, AI is pretty atrocious at producing this type of work.

By the way, the A.M.P.T.P. is not too happy about having to accede to this agreement but judging by their statement, they realize they have no choice. Read between the lines.

Also, keep in mind that the actors are still on strike and, believe it or not, they have more and more complicated demands than the writers did.

The only shows that can restart right now are talk shows, game shows and ones that don’t require actors.

• Members

I read it this morning in the NYT this morning.

Did you check the AMPTP’s website? It may be on their website as a press release.

It was a very trite abrupt statement anyway, not sure it’s worth the effort to search for it.

Edited by DramatistDreamer