Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Ah. I just looked at tvseasonspoilers.com again, and at the bottom of the page it says "designed by Winacle".
The winacle.net website lists tvseasonspoilers.com as one of their brands.
I see that winacle.net says at the bottom of their page: "India based highly creative media house".

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just did a quick run through some YouTube sites searching "Deidre Hall TCA"

There's just not much. 

TCA Red Carpet: 

Robt sitting at #1

Dee love being on streaming, all new for us

Robt feel history being made

Dee told about playing herself on HACKS airing end of year

TCA, MuseTV Network specifically asked about getting new younger audience from the move to peacock: 

Dee The last time we got an influx of new younger audience was the possession & now we are getting a new younger audience again, like new blood being pumped in

Day of Days with Drake 2 months ago: 

Dee This year is different because it's not Sony Universal doing it, it's Peacock. Let me tell you it has been delightful, so smooth

Drake 4 generations of fans just as passionate as can be & we match that passion

Could go from mag site to mag site looking at articles but I imagine it's all the same. 

Sum up, when talking about peacock the actors are high on it.

And, I can tell you from talking to someone at the studio regularly he is high on it & reports his colleagues are, too. I think that is great to know, but I don't think it tells us anything about how the show is doing in any hard facts way. 

The person from the studio who told me that "Feb. 1st-Feb. 2nd were the first days" that were "100% Peacock produced" not anything about the writing. When they moved it was said that they were 6 months in the can with another month written. 

So, exactimundo! There's a kind of rule of thumb. 

• Members

You're already seeing 

full closing credits

longer shows

shorter shows

green screen

CGI

new cameras

for 3 weeks in Jan. the shows were half & half - half-NBC produced & half-peacock produced

Now as of Feb. 1&2 100% peacock-produced

1 month from then is when new writing should kick in. 

Oh, yeah, I left out the first advantage I loved: No Pre-emptions. 

Edited by Tonksadora
one more thing

• Members

From @JAS0N47's average estimate of taping date to air date
https://jason47.com/days/productionschedule.html

Yeah we're starting to see stuff filmed around the time the Peacock switch was announced.  But we also know that things are often filmed very much out of order.

They film according to what sets are being used, what crew is on, what actors are available, and covid grouping guidelines. Special events like weddings/funerals/parties or explosions are filmed at special times offschedule when the set, actors, and special crew are available.  The show uses the wiggle room to be a week, month, or two months earlier or later than the average production schedule when needed -- if you are talking strictly the taping-to-airdate gap.   It was evident a couple of weeks ago when Nicole had a hairstyle change within an episode, and Will had a hairstyle change within an episode - obviously the taping dates of their scenes were not on the same day, and maybe not the same week or month.

Some episodes were taped longer ago than the average tape/airdate gap, so they were already taped *before* the switch to Peacock.  Some things were taped more recently than the average tape/airdate gap, so they would have been taped *after* the switch to Peacock.
But most things follow the schedule, so a lot of what's starting to air now was filmed around the time of the switch to Peacock.

Writing:
As Errol said, they haven't started airing episodes *written* for Peacock yet -  they are still airing episodes written for NBC.  (Unless Ron made a small exception here and there, to write in a small change, which the show can rarely do).  It used to be a two-month gap between writing date and taping date.   Not sure what that writing-to-taping timegap is now.

Editing:
As we know: The episodes written for NBC were written to be 36 or 37 minutes long. They always planned it out in the script to be that length, but when filming, it would sometimes end up being longer or shorter than expected. They used to be required to cut scenes from a long episode to make an episode be 36 or 37 minutes long.  And if the episode came out too short, they'd tape a filler scene or insert a flashback to make the total length be 36 or 37 minutes.

Regardless of when taped, they still have several months between taping date and airdate, during which the editing process happens.  So we've been seeing episodes *edited for Peacock* for a month or two now.  Hence the variable length of episodes for a while now -- the exact number of minutes have already been discussed in detail and I won't repeat.

The rooftop greenscreen was filmed at L.A. Castle Studios, and aired Jan. 20 and 23.
From Jason's *average*
https://jason47.com/days/productionschedule.html
... If following that average, Jan 20-23 would have been filmed the first week of August ...
but as I said in an earlier paragraph, that's only an average, and things are filmed out of order depending on sets, personnel, crew, etc.
Obviously the rooftop scene was filmed later than what's in the average tape/airdate gap ... it must have been filmed after DAYS knew they were switching to Peacock and had the money for it.

We aren't seeing stuff written for Peacock yet, except obviously the rooftop scene would've been written for Peacock.  Or maybe the rooftop scene was written differently for NBC and then changed/enhanced for Peacock.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Well put. Personally, I also think that the Li/Gabi wedding was peacock-produced. Number of people, costumes, set design, etc. all screamed NEW if you ask me. 

And, I want to say one thing I've been sitting here thinking about & that is that morale at the show is so much better now. The relationship between NBC/Sony/Universal & DOOL was (1) do it cheaper, now, even cheaper (2) internecine warfare (3) micromanaging. Now, Peacock actually LIKES the show & seems gung ho abt it. I believe Al Alarr, co-EP who still directs because he wants to, is the point man for DOOL/Peacock relations & I have heard nothing but fantastic things about him as an administrator & a man to work for & with. As fans while we may not like all of Ron's decisions, we can like that this is a more positive place where these people are working. And I say that today, when I feel really defeated about Alex-Steph-Chad. 

• Members

If people are interested in digging some & learning about streaming, metrics audiences, etc. I have a few things for you. 

There's a chart showing HBO Max shows from last March put out by Parrot Analytics. 

https://www.bing.com/search?q=What%20is%20Parrot%20Analytics&form=SWAUA2

What is Parrot Analytics?

https://www.similarweb.com/blog/research/audience-and-brand-building/streaming-audience-analysis/?fbclid=IwAR3C9KS7IomRRos9Y_Aw8-PsO74mykyTo1R-ohLTx0NpLYPxSGj7ONHkCeg

This is a blog about metrics & streaming. It's dated which may not matter.

Nov. '22

Please register in order to view this content

From an email newsletter by The Vulture's Joe Adalian:

Nov. '22

From an email newsletter by The Vulture's Joe Adalian:

As for how Days is doing so far on Peacock, that’s a much trickier proposition. One not-so-great sign: Parrot Analytics says audience demand for Days actually declined during the soap’s first full week as a streaming exclusive. Days went from having 11.6 times the demand of an average show in the U.S. to a 10.1 demand score, a drop of 13 percent. That’s not what you’d expect for a series making such a big move and getting more publicity than it has since the last time somebody was possessed by the Devil. But given how little time there was to promote the switch — and the relatively small footprint of the Days audience when it was on NBC — it’s not that surprising.

Unless the internal data for Days ends up looking awful, I’d say odds are good Peacock will be patient. For one thing, the show is very inexpensive on a cost-per-episode compared to so much other streaming content. What’s more, Peacock doesn’t have a ton of megahits, so it doesn’t take a lot for a show to have a positive impact. Even if the Days audience ends up being relatively small, if it consists of a decent number of new subscribers and shows up consistently, then it could have similar value — and cost efficiency — than more high-profile titles. Plus, Peacock really doesn’t want to make enemies out of 2 million loyal soap-opera fans.

Not a problem. 

• Members

So, today's show, ... Lucas says that Kristen was going to give them the orchid if they needed it, well, how did he happen to know that from his position in prison? And, why does he believe it?! I did NOT believe it! He's not the first either. Other people have believed it. 

Great Nick line: "All the lawyers belong to the devil." 

Great Julie line: "I think the marriage is gonna work out." speaking of Doug & Julie

Julie expresses to Chad that they've been concerned about him & whether he will ever find love again. 

WHAT?!! Thomas, Charlotte, Jack, Julie & Doug all are sanctioning this relationship with Stephanie. OMG! Is this not, like, the hardest sell the writers have ever put behind a couple they are for, even if the fans refuse to be pulled kicking & screaming to it?!! 

I thought Nick & Charlie's Angels were good but I am just disgusted with all things Alex, Steph & Chad. 

• Members

I don't know if he said it but it was definitely said that they had 6 months in the can. That number is right. But, they've had all these days when the show was longer than 36 min. that used up that show in the can. 

Okay, I don't know anyone who has access to Nielsen data on streaming. Now, apparently you do. Do you mind saying what your source is for Nielsen saying anything at all about DOOL? If you've got access to a Nielsen chart on streaming, can you post it? Thnx.