Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Not sure if the second part is directed at me, but if so I don’t ignore people and their posts. If it looks like that, I don’t do it on purpose.

That said, I’m waiting on information on that particular piece of information and will hopefully have an answer soon. To be clear, I’m talking about written and produced for Peacock, not simply episodes produced after it was known episodes going forward would be aired exclusively on Peacock and were therefore edited to be longer.

Speaking of Yellowstone, the show just got canceled. 

https://deadline.com/2023/02/yellowstone-kevin-costner-series-to-end-taylor-sheridan-plots-franchise-extension-matthew-mcconaughey-1235251400/

• Members

Of course, Taylor Sheridan and Paramount will say it's not canceled, but is being "reimagined," or some such bull.

Yellowstone was good for 3 seasons, then turned to garbage. Season 5 has been a complete bust, in my opinion, and I'm now hate watching. Sheridan has about a dozen shows airing or in development, and that's obviously affected the writing on Yellowstone.

I'd actually be happy if it ended after part 2 of the season airs this summer.

• Members

This is one of those shows where the division between fans and culture warriors was striking. There was a big push in the press last year in particular to shame people who watched Succession and didn't watch Yellowstone, or awards bodies for the same. Succession is a flawed show, and fans do criticize certain writing choices, but it also has a very happy and loud fanbase (as shown with the many, many fancams). Yellowstone, in comparison, I saw fans who spent most of their time tearing into the writing, acting, and pointing out how much the show has fallen apart over the last few years.

• Members

Except it's kind of accurate? Yellowstone isn't at the risk of ending because ratings are bad - it's at the risk of ending because Kevin Costner is causing trouble with the shooting schedule, only wanting to do a week worths (6 days!!!) of shooting versus the 65 days that was agreed upon. So as of now they're exploring letting Costner go and bringing McConaughey in and labeling it a spin-off (but it's really just a continuation of Yellowstone).

We'll see what happens. My understanding is that it's not yet cancelled but it's likely to be and it'll basically be a Roseanne -> The Conners situation. Also, effectively labeling it a spin-off rather than season 6 or whatever of Yellowstone means that they can get the rights back from Peacock and put it on Paramount+. So the spin-off solves two problems - they get the show to their own streaming service while also getting rid of the expensive diva time-waster Costner.

Edited by te.

• Members

Today, TVGuide & TVGuide email, normally I wouldn't post this here but we had the conversation here yesterday. @ErrolIf it needs to be some place else, please make it happen. I don't know how much value is in the article. https://www.tvguide.com/news/why-the-end-of-yellowstone-might-be-exactly-what-the-franchise-needs-to-thrive/