March 20-24, 2006

Toups

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have two different means of collecting ratings. The number that most people rank the soaps by are by the number of households tuned in at the same time. That is the number you are referring to where Days is behind GH by a tenth or so.

The second number measures the number of viewers tuned in. They take say like our household when we were a Neilsen household. At the time we were a household of 6. If all 3 of her TV's were turned on at the same time they would divide the household members up among the shows tuned it at a certain time. If all were watching the same show or only one TV on then all 6 members of the household got counted as tuned in. If a diary is kept then they get a more accurate account as you have to write in the diary who is watching what, how old they are, etc.

So they go by the number of households tuned in (which is the main rating that most go by) and also they take those households and look at the members watching. Each household has a different number of people. And like with ours we did not keep a diary each week so the actual number of viewers counted for us might have been wrong at the time. That is the reason I think most people judge the more accurate rating as the households number.

Hope that helps.

• Members

"Soap Opera Weekly" confirms that Melissa Reeves doesn't intend to renew her contract with "Days" when it expires later this year (June, I believe). Reeves husband Scott is part of the country act Blue Country and she reportedly is moving to Nashville, TN so that he can be closer to the action in that industry.

As for her character, when Reeves first left in 1995, producers decided to recast the role with Stephanie Cameron - until Reeves returned in 2000 - so another recast is always an option. Then again, there was a two year hiatus between Cameron's departure and Reeves return, so the character could also be written out.

In other soap news, the industry lost two pioneering visionaries this past week...

"Dark Shadows" creator/writer Dan Curtis died from brain cancer on Monday. Curtis introduced gothic storylines to daytime back in the 1960s as a way to save his series from cancelltion. DS remains popular more than 35 years after it went off the air.

Longtime "General Hospital" producer Gloria Monty died Thursday, also from cancer. Monty was brought on board GH at a time when its ratings and quality were at a low ebb and cancellation was a real possibility. Within years, Monty had transformed GH and was rewarded with a ratings resurgence. Among Monty's lasting legacies was the addition of Luke and Laura to the canvas.

• Members

Is that the one where it says she told her castmates that she would not be renewing her contract. If it is, the way I understood someone else say was that it was not confirmed yet - just that she had told some of her castmates.

I have not seen it so am just asking.

• Members

GL ratings haven't skyrocketed in the last 5 years, so why would they for last week, just curious?

I hope ATWT ratings skyrocket, its a quality soap that dosnt deserve low ratings.

About DAYS ratings, I hope you are wrong but after a huge gain and having gained the last 3 weeks its likely to drop come next week, hopefully still in the top 4 in overall viewers!

Archived