DAYS: September 2022 Discussion Thread ⌛

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Speaking for a lot more than yourself here. The posts often contradict each other and the excuses are plentiful. A few friends from here don't even log in anymore because of these posts. I'm sure I'm going to hear it, but the word salads and the Percocet posts are getting to many folks, not just you or me.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I see moist, wetness but I also don't see obvious Botox use looking at her face over time. Could be, I guess. Personally I think she's doing great & Billy Flynn continues to do great & Matt was great today, again, for the first time in a long while. And, yesterday involved many people, which was good. I liked Cady with Suzanne last week & with SSH today. Good signs.

• Members

Even more than with Matt, I really noticed her lack of chemistry with Marci and Casey Moss.  Probably because Missy had such an amazing connection with them (and Kate Mansi).  She really, really excelled at the maternal stuff.  Speaking of Marlena—I think Dee usually has great chem. with her on-screen kids… I don’t always feel it with the boys, Greg Vaughan and Eric Martsolf, and she can go way overboard with Chandler… but whether it’s loving, disappointed, protective, etc., she usually nails it with Ali, Martha, and Christie.  There is so much to be said when we can really see and feel these connections, usually fostered over many years.

And Cady’s diction choices were never more ott than her voiceover for Abby’s eulogy!  Like Michael said, I think Cady IS going for Viki Lord or something!  Lolol.  It has been in the writing, depending on the hw, that the Hortons can be upper class WASPY snobs, but none of the actors have ever played it that way really before.  Even if Julie and Maggie are trying to be overly judgmental or fancy, SSH and SR can be so campy that it never reads steely prim and proper.  But if you’d ask, like, Eve, Anne, Bonnie, or Gwen, they’d tell you they’re all elitist hypocrites.  Meanwhile, I actually like this critique of the Hortons and wish it were served more often, esp. from someone like Kate.

And I get what you’re saying about Jack being safer because of Gwen, but RC has always been known to just give up on his “pets” when he feels like he’s finally reached an impasse.  It’s crazy—look at Sarah… she went from being the central heroine in 2019/20 to a complete afterthought.  And I can recall OLTL’s Stacy, GH’s Kate/Connie, etc.  Unless he can successfully pivot her soon, I wouldn’t be surprised if he gives up on Gwen, who has the worst retconned backstory ever!  And it’s a shame because for the first few months, Gwen was one of the better things to happen to this show in a long time.

• Members

Anybody up & trying to watch today's show? I can't find it on Peacock. Blimey. Anybody having luck?

Okay! Here it comes now, just loading late.

Now, Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, as I had hoped the Ghost of Abigail came again today only this day she talked. Finally Chad got to talk to the one person he most needed to. A lot of Abby & Chad. A lot of Stefan & EJ. A full measure of Shin. Throw in some Gabi & Ava who is pleased to know she's not going crazy. Stock shares are an item of the day. Johnny is accused of sitting around nearly naked, sweaty & smelly in tiny underwear, not looking for a place to live, not looking for a job, leaving dirty dishes everywhere, sum total being more trouble than baby Henry, ... I love it when the twins bicker .... Chanel doesn't mind him staying but she knows he needs to get things going for himself. Johnny packs his valise & heads on, running into Ava in Horton Square. Apparently she's missed him because she invites him back to the Salem Inn with her. Just then EJ arrives and he invites them BOTH back into the DiMera mansion. 

Not a sign of Gwen, Jenn, Jack, Julie, Doug, the m'ladies Kate, Marlena & Kayla who are with secret malady. Gosh what a funny way to tell stories. But, the day seemed to fly by. 

Edited by Tonksadora
late

• Members

I am sure that I am not impeded by this stuff because I wasn't watching the show right then.

I have no trouble with Cady's diction & I specifically loved Abby's eulogy.

I have always thought that the Hortons were upper middle class Episcopalians, where the Bradys were working class Roman Catholics. Reilly messed that up by trying to make everyone in town RC.

Surely not worse retcons that John, Tony & Andre'! And, me, I thought Gwen was the worst kind of trouble from the get-go.

• Members

I like how Stephanie is a SERIOUS BUSINESS WOMAN doing SERIOUS BUSINESS WOMAN STUFF hence she doesn't have time for Alex because she's stuck doing SERIOUS BUSINESS WOMAN THINGS like riffling through a bunch of papers and looking busy.

DAYS is really good at writing business stories and defining careers. 

Edited by te.

• Members

Oy! Nothing like the train you're catching being 20 minutes late into the station! Yes

Please register in order to view this content

I guess I'm getting the bargain I asked for! You got me there! I love having my soaps available to me at 6 am & at 10 pm but Peacock was late this morning & Hulu was way later last night! I'm going to do better tolerating waiting.

• Members

What's that Melanie Griffith/ Sigorney Weaver movie with the great Carly Simon song, "Working Girl"? That's what DOOL should aspire to with characters like Stephanie & Jada.

EJ is on track now to see if he can get votes from Ava & Johnny now that he & Stefan have his back. I like this EJ so much. He literally has no standards. He could change his mind in any given afternoon!

• Members

Very true about CM's lack of connection to her on screen children.  Through her run on the show though I do think she's historically spent more time with Matt, so he came to mind first.   I will cut Cady some slack with the children because Missy came back a few times and her connection with Marci really shined through and it made CM's job that much harder.  I wonder if she studied any of Jennifer's history or watched any of Missy's performances because I don't see a whole lot of Jen shining through.  I don't mind if she has her own take on Jennifer, but some key characteristics seem missing or way off.

Lol!  About that eulogy.  It was so awkward and stiff.  That is exactly what I was thinking of when I commented about her diction.  I have no idea why Matt didn't just do it.

There are definitely times where I think Julie, Hope, and Jennifer have played their characters snobby, judgey and uppity.  It wouldn't be my overall description of the Hortons, but they aren't working class like the Brady's either. I have never thought of Jennifer as being overly interested in proper English when speaking though.  She has always had a pretty casual way of conversing, unlike, say, Marlena who is pretty proper when speaking to everyone even John and her family.

I liked Gwen as well in the beginning.  It's a shame her character has gone down the path she has.  That is a very fair point about RC and dropping pets.  I just don't think Jack is quite as dependent on Jen as he was in the past.  There has been some effort to branch him out with other characters and that wasn't the case before.

As far as Marlena and her children, I do get what you are saying about her and EM and GV.   Obviously she has spent years with Christie and Ali so that's obvious.  DH and Martha seemed to click right away as well.  With EM/Brady, I have never thought the Brady/Marlena adult relationship was very well defined.  Sometimes Marlena is like his mother other times she's just a woman his dad married.  The show considers Sami/Eric his siblings, but Brady keeps Marlena at arm's length usually and I don't think either actor knows how to play it exactly.  With Eric, he was gone so long and has always been the 'forgotten' twin and I don't think Deidre and GV ever really connected that well.  I would say the same about him and Ali Sweeney and Josh Taylor.  The only sibling he truly has chemistry with is EM.  I think the effort is there on both GV and DH's part-it just comes off lesser than Marlena's daughters because historically throughout the show, her daughters have been more important.  I think Dee does quite well with Allie/Johnny/Claire (especially Allie/Claire) too.