Y&R actress clarifies status (update page 5)

• Members

the sad thing about Daytime Emmys is that they don't really matter for much unless you are someone like Oprah/Ellen and you are winning like 3 or 4 at a time and it's just adding to your already towering status. I remember Sarah Michelle Gellar said in an interview ages ago that after she left AMC she thought she was big ish because she had just won an Emmy but the reality was peeps were like "so?" and it was basically a paperweight. And I'm sure they matter even less now. 

hoping for the best for MM. I hope she can snag a Netflix or Amazon show role.

Edited by dio

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

MM is awesome. Perhaps, they are in contract negotiations. There were rumors back in May that she may not reup when her contract expired.

Clearly, Amanda has not been all bad for her - Y&R obviously gave her enough material to work with to get that win. That said, she's been underutilized. MM has that star presence. It's obvious whenever she's on the screen. You can't help but notice.

• Members

MM as Hillary was destined to be the next Jill of the show, but Mal dashed all those hopes for cheap shock of killing Hillary off. I don't blame MM for leaving. 

I was thinking the other day, a good idea to bring Taggart's relationship with his daughter Trina to the forefront is to bring on a love interest for him, perhaps someone that Trina does not take a liking to instantly.  MM would be perfect for such a role. 

• Members

People always say this, but I don't agree with it. Hillary was IMO way too one dimensional and unlikable. Any subtlety or nuance came from MM, not the writing. Another actor may have made it excruciating. Of course, I didn't watch Jill's original run, but I have to believe she was more likeable and human than Hillary. The fact that people saw humanity in her just speaks to MM's credit.

Edited by koos

• Members

When I started Jill was pretty close to a cartoon, but even then BD played the vulnerability about her past, Phillip, and even sometimes with Katherine.  But Jess really grounded Jill, she had some scrap and grit.  She humanized her quite a bit.

MM as Hillary had that internal life that used to be a hallmark of Bell shows and great female characters.  More going on internally was portrayed even with weak writing.  I am one of those people that thinks the show was better with her and that character, both in the short term and the potential.

• Members

Oh, it was there. But it was tissue-thin. It was like, every moment she was free from trouble she would childishly set out to do the worst thing in almost a procedural way. It would be accompanied by exactly one scene of her hesitating or feeling guilty. The barely-implied internal struggle was so microscopic. The show was definitely better with her, though. It's also possible she was better in the first year, which I didn't see.

• Members

Has her departure been confirmed? Except for a couple of articles noting her credit removal, there's literally nothing about her leaving Y&R. Certainly the first Black woman to win the lead actress Emmy leaving would've been noteworthy, especially with the RS and KT departure stories that went beyond the soap press. I'm hopeful they are still in negotiations.

• Members

Nothing confirmed at all.  It might be a simple error in the credits. Or maybe she's in negotiations. I titled the thread "change in status?" with a question mark, because I don't know what's actually going on.

Mishael did an interview on GlobalTV Canada's "The Morning Show" on Friday August 19. 
If there has been a Y&R status change, it wasn't mentioned.
This interview could have been pre-taped a while ago, or maybe it was live? I don't know.  They mainly discussed that she won the Emmy and her July visit to her birth country of Trinidad&Tobago.  There was no discussion of upcoming Y&R storylines.  Other topics of discussion included: Tonya Lee Williams;  the potential future of soaps on streaming. 

https://globalnews.ca/video/9071695/yr-star-mishael-morgan-on-her-historic-emmy-win/

A copy on youtube if anyone needs one:

Please register in order to view this content

Edit to add:  The show's PR twitter account ("YRinsider") tweeted a link to that Global interview:

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Miss Morgan's status is unclear.  But she is a prime example of how the current writing team wastes talent at Y&RY&R has been a great show in the past.  But now, ugh.  MM's Hilary was a spitfire of a character and even though at times, to me, unlikable, she demanded the audience's attention.  She was interesting.  The current character Amanda is a big, old bore.  Attaching her to Devon was a mistake.  MM had great chemistry with JT's. Billy, whom I despise under this writer.  But they had a spark.  Billy and Lily are dullsville.  Lily has lost her spirit and personality. I always liked CK as Lily. Now I have zero respect for her or her history as Neal's daughter.  Devon has degenerated into Mr. I Can Run Everything and Call the Tune for everyone.  Sharon Case's Sharon has been turned into a coffee pourer when she used to be lead character.  Nikki is a loathsome snob whom I can no longer root for at all. Victor, well, same old, same old comes to mind.  

While I realize soaps have to evolve in the 21st century, good stories that honor a show's history are still the hallmarks of an interesting show, watchable show.

As a soap lover, it is just sad to see the state of soaps today.