Y&R June 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I watched the Ashley/Traci anniversary it really clicked that after 40 years both characters could always be summarized by their established character traits.  Ashley, the smart chemist one who never quite got the work/life balance correct.  And, Traci the writer and the youngest child who always suffered from poor self esteem.

Then, you look at their kids and others characters from the younger generations and their traits (and professional skills) are often not as explicit.  I mean, try to explain Abby, Coleen, and Kyle according to the traits that have defined their character's choices.  It is difficult because each has transformed with every new iteration (except for Coleen, but she's dead).

Edited by j swift

• Members

LOL how times change. Just was saying that because the Abbott family has been decimated and aside from Johnny and Katie none of those other kids have any relevance to the Abbotts not to mention except for Reed should continue to SOARLess. I think Y&R should have been the one soap that should have aged it’s kids naturally but that’s a different conversation for another day. 

LMAO they show flashbacks in reverse for Victor & Ashley arguing over the abortion to showing Victor giving Ashley a watch.

Ashley was clearly one of Bill Bell’s  favorite characters he had ever written for.

Now onto 6/20 wow Lauren is such a busybody. Actually the way how Lauren described on how she has been “keeps tabs on Diane” sounded borderline stalking.

I am glad Summer despite her doubts kept her cool and her perseverance for peace though. Amazing how new Summer actually comes off as more mature, classy and sophisticated compared to Nikki and Lauren. 

As always the Diane scenes with Kyle and Harrison were definitely the highlight of the episode.

• Members

Diane, NuSummer, Jill and Imani are breathing life into the empty void known as Genoa City. Can we lose Victoria, Chelsea, Kevin and Chloe for at least two months and keep at least three of these women front burner?

Watching Syphyllis, Nikki and Lauren seethe over Diane  has definitely recharged the old guard. 

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Well Jess/Jill always delivers, especially now she's been softened a little. For a while there everytime she turned up it was to be a nagging shrew.

Susan is a class act and Leigh Ann, while no great shakes (blame inexperience, mediocre writing and lack of direction) has a spark and her character, unlike the bland Amanda and Elena, actually has an agenda and attitude.

• Members

Boy, you can say that again! They are estranged by Allie's choice & they have a strange relationship because Sami has screwed up so much in Allies' life. Allie doesn't trust Sami & always thinks the worst of her, which Sami then does live down to! Allie would prefer it if she never saw her mother. Allies' very close to her grandparents.

• Members

6-13

So...Phyllis exploded and it broke up her and Jack. Shammmme. *side-eye* Not surprised, but I have to say those scenes were pretty good. I liked that Jack did factor in the fact that they had been here before and how hard it was for him to forgive Phyllis and be open. And now she BAMF!!! Perfect for Diane to move in on him. 

So I see a Jill sighting! I see a Nikki vs Diane sighting! I have really liked this meager party. It was nice to see Nate override Devon. The potential for a rivalry has been there since this latest recast. And I loved the flashback since I was just stopping regularly viewing when the Nate/Elena affair happened. I wish Olivia would show up and gain this some traction. 

And we know I'm loving some Imani. Yesssss, she's slowly and surely making her move. I think they are all going to underestimate her. So watch out.

• Members

The comments in this thread made me curious enough to check out that specific anniversary episode featuring Traci and Ashley. The dialogue for Traci was sometimes written clumsily but Beth Maitland did her best and salvaged what she could and let her natural warmth and sincerity shine through. The dialogue for Ashley was a bit better but I wonder why the writing couldn’t make the dialogue sound more conversational and less like exposition or an interview. This was the first time I saw Allie and I like the casting choice, the actress comes off as personable, even charming at moments but I can imagine the show not truly giving her anything to do. 

I agree with whoever posted how much of a shame it is that the show killed off Keemo and Colleen and it’s not due to sentimental reasons why I bring this up, both characters have character and genuine story value for this show, that has been flushed down the drain. A whole host of story possibilities lost.

I found myself snickering or guffawing over how they tried to smooth over that whole part of the story involving Brad creating an entire 2nd family with his former sister-in-law, only mildly acknowledging how weird it was. 

For the most part, I enjoyed the flashbacks, even taking into account the odd omissions.

Oh, and was I the only one who thought the food looked putrid? I knew there was supposed to be broccoli on the plate but what the heck was that mystery meat??! I kept hoping the food was fake because it looked disgusting!