ARTICLE: Soap Vet Vincent Irizarry In Recovery Following Emergency Surgery

• Webmaster

vincentirizarry_20_1200x675.jpg.optimal.

On Friday, March 11, actor Vincent Irizarry (“All My Children,” “Days of our Lives,” et al) underwent emergency surgery to reduce the fluid flowing to his brain after an altercation in December left him with a head concussion after he intervened in a domestic matter between two strangers.

In a post on Instagram, girlfriend Yvonne Glisson revealed that after leaving a restaurant/bar Irizarry “witnessed a man being volatile to his wife in the parking lot. He went right over to intervene and calm the man down and instead was then violently hit to the ground himself, suffering multiple bruises and a serious head gash and concussion resulting in fluid to his brain. The man then proceeded to beat his wife unconscious. Vincent was rushed to the ER and had to be treated for his head wound, injuries and tests run. Unfortunately, that fluid has increased substantially over the last 3 months.” 

In a follow-up post shared hours after his surgery, Glisson gave an update on Irizarry’s status, saying, “Vincent’s surgeon performed the procedure early this am skillfully but finding a bit more than he expected. But he has been watched and tested all day and thankfully fluid has not increased again. They will keep him there and be watching for that or any complications and observing his condition before sending him home. Otherwise, Vincent has been awake all day talking, eating and being his ever-charming self even with his head bandaged and tubes coming out all over him! On behalf of Vincent, Thank you for all the love and well wishes. It is not overlooked or taken for granted. He is as always grateful.”

Filmed prior to his surgery, Irizarry will be a featured guest on the Youtube series “MB: State of Mind,” hosted by “General Hospital” star Maurice Benard. The episode will be released Sunday afternoon on the platform. 

Watch a clip below of Benard wishing his friend well during his recovery period while also teasing what’s to come in their conversation on “State of Mind.”

Irizarry got his start in soaps in 1983, playing Brandon "Lujack" Luvonaczek on “Guiding Light” (returning later as another character named Nick McHenry). He subsequently starred as Dr. Scott Clark on “Santa Barbara,” “David Hayward on “All My Children,” and Deimos Kiriakis on “Days of our Lives.” He also had roles on both “The Young and the Restless” and “The Bold and the Beautiful.”

In 2005, he crossed over to “One Life to Live,” playing his Hayward character from “All My Children,” as the two soaps intertwined a baby switch storyline that boosted ratings across the ABC daytime lineup.

Outside of soaps, Irizarry has played roles on such shows as “L.A. Law,” “The Sentinel,” “Beverly Hills, 90210” and “NCIS: Los Angeles,” among others.

Note: The post Soap Vet Vincent Irizarry In Recovery Following Emergency Surgery appeared first on the Soap Opera Network website.

Read More

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know what V.I.'s politics are.

But his son (who was 19 at the time) was a participant in the attack on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and he was caught on film, and was arrested in March 2021. 

The photos and news articles are on the bottom of page #2446 of the Politics thread.

No idea where the son got those ideas.  Could have been from home, school, work, friends, whatever.

• Members

As I said in the AMC thread when it first came up a week or two ago, there's a lot of talk about VI and his family going awhile back. There's also a lot of conservatives or right wingers in daytime and always have been, for decades - among all our favorites. As long as they don't throw it in my face and openly push fascism or threaten public health towards their castmates or audience (c/f: Ingo Rademacher, Steve Burton) I can shrug most of it off.

I have little doubt a fair amount of what I've heard about Irizarry or his son is true. That doesn't mean he deserved to die, and it doesn't mean I didn't or can't enjoy his performances onscreen and don't wish him a swift recovery. It is entirely possible he's someone whose politics I find repugnant; unfortunately, in daytime, that's a big club.

Edited by Vee