Y&R March 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

OK let's break down Y&R's latest story.

After being ignored by several regimes over the years, the decision is made to reference Keemo.

For most viewers he would be an unknown quantity, especially when Jack has not mentioned him in specific discussions about family and fatherhood.

So good storytelling would be to mention him prior to the story beginning eg at Xmas.

Didn't happen.

Y&R then decide to establish that up until recently Jack and Keemo had a solid relationship, which contradicts everything played onscreen. Keemo never appeared or was mentioned during family crises and celebrations-highly unlikely under those circumstances.

Surely it would be more appropriate for Jack to state that he and Keemo had been estranged for years to the point they had lost contact.

Not unreasonable for an adult son to have difficulty bonding with a newfound family, especially as Keemo was quite a prickly character.

Moving on - the decision was made to kill off Keemo. OK, an adult son for Jack may not be the best fit story wise whereas a young female relative has more story potential.

So the stage is set to have Jack to attempt to get close to this new character who brings some diversity to the canvas. Lot's of potential there.

But within a week or so we get the Diane reveal.

So in addition to the long lost relative they pile on Back from the Dead.

A character who we saw die onscreen who has nothing to do with the other story. So now we have to swallow some ridiculous story about a fake death.

In bringing back Diane we know have to deal with Kyle, her son.

But Kyle had already been written into a corner by unwisely marrying him off (for the 3rd time) and giving him a kid.

Now if Kyle returns long term they have to deal with Summer and Harrison.

Will be interesting to see this play out onscreen. 

• Members

Listen, I'm putting a pin in that because I'm still trying to wrap my head around the current 'climax' to the Ashland story where he just walks out on Victoria when he's confronted and that's it. That can't be all!!

• Members

At this point the show just should go for broke and have Ashland being a Prentiss family member after all and went after Newman as a means for revenge based on instructions from an undead 102-year old Vanessa Prentiss living in a snazzy Barcelona nursing home villa

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Lol I jest for sure @kalbir but have been very puzzled by all TPTB decisions as of late, as if they have Finally realized how slow they have been to react. Pretty much all storylines like Ashland faking and Diane’s return came out of nowhere overnight I feel like the entire Y&R writing will be dismissed at some point soon. 

• Members

I think most fans have given up on this show ever returning to Bell's stylized melodrama, but would it kill them to hire people who could at least write something resembling conflict, and one coherent and interesting story? 

It's not just the fact Y&R has strayed far from its roots, but it's more so the show is so damn uninteresting/boring and has not been able to tell one damn consistent story for like the past 15 years. If they wanted to change Y&R's signature style, fine (begrudgingly), but at least write something interesting

• Members

Like others, I do wonder if a lot of what's happening now with Allie/Keemo and Diane is rather hastily added on. It's got actual, potential life to it unlike most of what Griffith does. The Ashland story could very easily fizzle out too.

Y&R today is simply cruising on its audience loyalty and a very thin budget, marking time. There doesn't seem to have been any compelling interest in shaking anything up or out of moribund torpor for a long while. The attempts to turn it into a Fronsian ABCD soap didn't really take off, but the echoes of that are all that's really left. So these recent changes (while nothing particularly spectacular so far) are surprising.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Chelsea and Rey being friends is unbelievable. Why is he even talking to her after what she did? I'm back here again. I decided I'm done with that other soap website. I got tired of the mods deleting my threads for no reason. The last 2 threads I posted were removed the same day I posted them. I'm done wasting my time there. I remember someone else posting a thread that called the mods a really bad word. LOL