Days of Our Lives: February 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To pull off a storyline like Possession 2.0, you needed a HW who didn't have what Victoria Rowell once described on an episode of "Diagnosis: Murder" as the "plotting abilities of a wombat."  And I say that as someone who didn't care for this [!@#$%^&*] when JER wrote it.

• Members

The problem is this mess renders them doing the Devil again radioactive for however many years, if ever. If you played it dead serious and sinister, took your time and built and built - which is what the original story did, IIRC, as well as The Exorcist itself which did it much better than both, the source material of Friedkin's film and William Peter Blatty's book - you could have a deep examination of the medical mystery involved with possession, the spiritual mystery, the social trauma, etc. before really going apeshit with the supernatural. That's a story that could take up most of a year, like I believe it did the first time. Instead they just camp it up and who's gonna want to touch it again?

Edited by Vee

• Members

Part of me suspects Ron Carlivati is sabotaging this particular story 1) because he didn't come up with it first and 2) because it's outside even his tacky and tasteless wheelhouse.

And then another part of me's like, "N***a, please."

Edited by Khan

• Members

Can we talk about Johnny's love of fencing for a moment? 

First of all, who is the 20something that practices fencing in 2022?  I checked and there are only 44 university fencing programs in the US, mostly due liability and lack of popularity.

Second, he carries a prop sword that one would wear for a pirate costume, not a proper fencing sword that would have a long handle covered with grip tape.

Third, a fencing outfit is stiff, for safety, and scratchy, so I doubt that one would be shirtless underneath.

• Members

I figured it was something he picked up in Europe?  I have no idea if fencing is popular there, but I didn't question it lol.  It seems like a bougie thing a Dimera would do, although how influenced Johnny truly was by Stefano/EJ is hard for me to figure out.

My biggest issue with the possession, and there are several issues, is why possess Marlena at all?  Besides it being a throwback, it had no lasting consequences besides Lani/Paulina.  Marlena isn't even on dealing with the fall out except for a few apologies here and there.  As much as I want to care about Johnny being Possessed it's not exactly carrying the same weight as the show's main heroine.  We hardly know Johnny.

• Members

Is there going to be any more Days content uploaded to their Youtube channel during the Olympics break? As much as I would love to have drinks with Eric Martsolf 

Please register in order to view this content

, I hope that's not the only thing that gets uploaded.

It has gone a little over the place since Johnny became possessed. If the devil had shown interest in Dimera at the same time that he was interested in Ben and Ciara's baby, I think it would make a lot more sense.

I do have to say that Carson's been doing a really good job though. He plays coldhearted really well.

• Members

I really like CB/Johnny but JoDevil is a bust for me. The devil isn't doing anything. He should be wreaking havoc on Salem. All he's doing is messing with Gabi/Jake so he can bang her, and he stands around the DiMera mansion talking to No-No's picture while waiting to fence with someone. They could've written Johnny to be extra horny and interested in business without possessing him. It's stupid. 

• Members

Having the devil wreak havoc on everyone would've made a lot more sense than what we're getting. There have been some things that I've really liked about Possession 2.0, but sometimes it just seems all over the place.

It's pretty simple: the devil finds his way back into Marlena or whoever, stirs up divisions and rivalries all through Salem and gets everybody to turn on each other through manipulation, or control, etc. And in return he manages to capture their souls. They could have even had him say that it was revenge for the way John and everybody defeated last time. In a way, it would be similar to the Stephen King novel Needful Things. 

• Members

Yeah, the Devil is all over.  I thought they came back because they had unfinished business with Marlena specifically.  I do think CB is doing a good job, but the Devil isn't doing anything Johnny just being an a** couldn't do lol.   The other thing about this is it's making it seem like being Possessed is 'fun' for lack of a better word.  Marlena was physically deteriorating in her first Possession and Johnny is galivanting around town like he feels fantastic-no ill effects at all.  And has the Devil just given up on Marlena so easily or is it going to hop back to her eventually?

• Members

Exactly.

Of course, you all know how I feel about telling this kind of story at all.  But, I will say that having Marlena become possessed a second time was, well, redundant.  Why couldn't the devil have possessed John this time around?

Yup, and I think that's a very dangerous message to send to the audience, too.

So, IOW, the devil is like COVID: some get possessed and feel little to no physical effects, while others aren't so lucky.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I actually think it would be much more interesting to have John possessed.  I know Drake has about 3 guarantees a month, but it would make sense the devil would come back for revenge and possess John.  It could have been the exact same thing via Doug with John protecting Marlena and becoming possessed.  It would be a welcome change of pace from John always saving Doc.

The show is making it seem like being Possessed is a complete pass to act like a jerk and no one will care after.

I know Possession and the Devil have a lot of different tellings and characteristics throughout history, but I wish the show would at least be consistent about theirs.