Days of Our Lives: December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not a fan of the possession story but I'm enjoying it more than I did the first few weeks. Probably because Deidre's finally out of that devil costume. I wish Ron gave this a less campy take but at least he writes for John and Marlena and keeps them center. I like that. It's so ADHD though. So disappointing.

I'm fine with Eileen coming back for visits. I've come to love Stacy as Kristen but I also love Eileen. I just hope, as a fan of Stacy's, she at least has some level of stability given how she's come in and completely committed to the show and the character. I really love her.

I don't know why I like the Rafe/Ava story but I do. I've never cared about Rafe and they've basically turned Ava into Sophia Petrillo. But they're building to something with Ava and I'm anxious to see where it goes. I'm looking forward to her desecrating that bear.

Jake and Gabi are boring. Pretty to look at, not particularly annoying, but boring. I like Gabi vs. Ava though, petty as it is.

I love Paulina but I'm not a fan of Jackee's emotional scenes. I love the energy she brings to the show though. They need to mix her up with Kate.

I've come to really enjoy EJ and Nicole. It took me a minute to get used to Dan but he's great. I divorced myself from the show years ago so I'm not as bothered by character inconsistencies as I used to be.

I love EJ and Kristen. Dan and Stacy are electric together. Whether it's the mother/son dynamic or the brother/sister dynamic.

I like Steve and Kayla for the first time ever. I've never disliked them, I just never understood their appeal. But I love Stephen and Mary Beth. They work so well together and I've come to really love Mary Beth. She's a subtle, nuanced actress and every bit as capable of carrying a big story as Deidre, Stacy, Ali, Ari, etc.

I'm enjoying Johnny/Allie/Chanel/Tripp. Raven Bowens is hit or miss but she has a ton of charisma. I really like the guy playing Johnny, he's good. Allie too. I'm not sure where anything is going with these characters but I like all the actors. Tripp's a little boring though.

Ciara and Ben are annoying as hell. I think I would've loved them when I was 13. They have a certain appeal. The show should totally capitalize on it. But Victoria Konefal seems to be playing herself and this baby story is a bust. I like RSW though.

I like Lani and Eli but they need more to do. Really enjoy the Lani/Kristen friendship.

Brady/Chloe/Phillip. A mess. I actually like Phillip darker. But I don't like JKJ, never have. And Nadia's as stiff as she ever was.

I've enjoyed watching Chad and Abby re-establish their marriage. I know a lot of people think they're boring but I enjoy them. I love how Billy Flynn has grown as an actor and I've come to love Marci as Abby. She plays Abby a little sanctimonious but I love it. I also love Kate Mansi. But I prefer Marci as Abby now. And Billy's tenderness does things to me.

I enjoy Gwen but she's gotten a little weepy. Not crazy about her and Xander. Hopefully with Sarah coming back (right?) things are about to get messy. But I do like Gwen.

What a hatchet job they've done on Jack.  I've never cared for Matt Ashford but he's never been this bad before. Can we at least get Mark Valley if Jack is going to be central in anything?

Bonnie can go. I loved her at one time (Judi kills white trash) but this Bonnie/Adrienne hybrid they've created is weird.

Did I forget anything?

Oh, the DiMera set. For a show with no budget they made it look great. Shame they brought Eileen back and we never even got to see her on it.

Ron needs a co-HW to ground his campier tendencies. Badly. Like Sheri with JER. But the show is entertaining and he doesn't bore me like Higley, so that's something.

Edited by KLN

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I loved Eli's line about dousing Marlena in holy water. I agree that the possession story has gotten better. Not that it's amazing writing, but there are entertaining moments. It was rough in the beginning because they were only showing it like once a week. Remember when we had the cliffhanger of Marlena getting re-possessed and then they didn't show her again for like a week? lol

The Brady Pub is obviously open since Chloe got food there. How did nobody see Philip attack Brady and drag his body around in broad daylight? Gotta say that I feel bad for Philip (and Phloe) fans. Talk about character assassination.

• Members

I think, from spoilers, we are getting a pretty long break from the Possession story next week too.  Like I don't think there are any for that story next week.

The Phillip stuff is so bad.  I want to say it's character assassination, but then I remember how evil he was trying to get Claire, so, Idk, Phillip's characterization has been odd for almost 2 decades now.  I am not sure what is wrong with this triangle.  It has all the right ingredients.  I don't think EM and NB had the chemistry KB and NB did but they do have some.   I am just not really invested in either couple.  Phillip/Chloe appear so non-romantic and sexless.  I don't even see why Phillip would go to these extremes.

• Members

I thought Kyle Lowder's Brady and Chloe had chemistry, but it was a sweet/cheesy chemistry what with all of the singing, etc. This time around, I think Eric Martsolf's Brady and Chloe have a hotter spark, as adults.

I like it. And I hope Brady/Chloe get a second chance before the cartoon that is Kristens 1 and 2 (whichever one) makes Brady's life hell again.

Phillip, to me, has always been a bit of a creeper, as mentioned, he did really go to extremes to try and get Belle. Really not feeling the character anymore.

• Members

I always thought KL and NB had chemistry.  Apologies to KL because I initialed him as KB thinking of Kyle Brandt but meant KL of course lol.  I thought it was cheesy, but it gave some depth to Brady who had spent his previous time just being an [!@#$%^&*] to Marlena.  

This might just be a case where the ship has sailed on chemistry with the characters.  They have all had numerous stories, love interests, time away, etc.  The writing isn't good, but the young/first love aspect of it all is long gone, so it might just not work.

• Members

I don't disagree it's a waste of JKJ and honestly all the actors involved, but Phillip has been a villian in the past.  This plan is ludicrous, but it's not like he's been a straight edge good guy all along.  JKJ is playing it like he is a psycho though.

• Members

That's sort of what I don't like.
It would have been easy enough for them to tell the exact same story by using the villain bits previously used for Philip and simply portray him as a mix of his mother's son and his spoiled upbringing.
Using manipulative scheming means to get anything he wants because he feels entitled to have what he wants: Chloe in this case
Not sure the psycho undertone was needed and could be damaging to the character long-term.

• Members

That's actually a really valid concern and I hadn't thought about that. I thought he was pretty much wrecked after that Island Adventure/Claire nonsense and he did recover.   Idk, maybe a new love interest and a willingness to change his ways?  We have Ben the serial killer as a main romantic lead, so the show can figure Phillip out.

• Members

Gotcha.  I feel like the tone has been entirely off since he returned.  He doesn't really interact with anyone he should.  They touched on Shawn/Belle/Claire and he has scenes with his mom/siblings, but not enough?  I feel like Days pacing is always awful and I'll forget what Phillip was doing because I don't see him for a full week.  Or his entire week is spent being a creeper to Chloe.  I actually like Phillip as well and I am not sure if it's a lack of investment in him or RC just having no idea what the character should be.