Days 8/9/21 weekly preview

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's Ron so of course it's stupid. LOL. And of course it's right as Johnny arrives. I swear this show gets on my ever loving nerve no matter who the writer is. LOL.

And it never fails, secrets come out, we get drama for a day and then boom, someone is gone and then it's on to the next. Ron always skips the true fallout, really. Remember when Duke and Anna were finally reunited on GH back in 2012/2013 and then off-screen for weeks? It's bizarre writing choices. I get it's how he structures things but it's not working for me. (He also did the same on OLTL so it's clearly a budget thing/how he was trained on the ABC soaps and it works with DAYS being so cash-strapped I suppose and low guarantees don't help ...)

I thought she was sticking around longer than this but I don't know now. I assume she is. It seems stupid to set up EJ/Sami/Lucas and then have both men on contract and no Sami ... like, OK? Really Ron?

And it does feel fast but she's been here since February/March. She spent weeks in the Salem PD, wasting time, like Ron does (because they didn't fully have her yet). He's obsessed with her being arrested and in jail for some reason.

• Members

It seems like it's a combination of a lot of things; poor writing choices, actor's schedules, an unwillingness to recast, combined with some characters who can't be recast, which I completely understand (Hi, Ali!) and we end up getting rushed things like this

• Members

That's the thing. It often feels rushed towards the end. It's just a combination of a lot of things but still, Ron makes the calls as writer (meaning his choices often suck, and I know he can do better). He could do better but sometimes I'm willing to give it a pass, like the Sarah nonsense. 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

You're right. That could have been better. 

What should have been done was to just have Kristen send her off. Rex was not needed, and with the show being so cash strapped, they could have saved a few bucks by not bringing Kyle Lowder on for just a week lol

• Members

I thought it was a year and they got her late because of Hallmark stuff.   I am glad Ali gets work, but this felt mismanaged.  She barely interacted with Allie.  EJ was brought back for this?  Johnnie hasn't even aired?  Is she in the Beyond Salem stuff?  I saw Christie posting a pic with her so I assumed she was. 

• Members

I've said this for years - he learned this from Frank Valentini and has done it ever since. They would block-tape people, stagger story for weeks and months at a time in the background, then rush exits and leave stories unfinished for key actors they gamble on having come back eventually. Sometimes it worked, but more often than not it ends up like this.

• Members

SOD says EJ kicks Sami out of the DiMera mansion, and then she decides to go visit the Hernandez home to ask Gabi for permission to stay at the DiMansion.  But as Sami approaches Rafe's house, she gets kidnapped.

There was also some weird SOD spoiler for 11 August that Ava wants to exact revenge on Sami.

SOD says Ali Sweeney's arc ends (for now) on 11 August when Sami is kidnapped.

Ali Sweeney stopped taping Days in April because she went to Vancouver, BC to tape some Hallmark movies.  This involved renting a place to stay by herself for two weeks in quarantine before taping, per Canada's Covid rules for people entering Canada at that particular time. (I think the rules are different now but that's what the rules were then.) Anyhow she quarantined for two weeks, then taped a few movies.  Then returned to California in mid-June for a family event.

Ali began taping at Days again sometime in July, (or maybe the end of June).  So basically we will see Sami again sometime in November or December, but it could be earlier because they don't always tape things in order. (No idea how long that next arc lasts)

Edit to add: There was a big announcement last year that she'd be returning to Days with a one-year contract.  And yes that return was delayed because she was filming Hallmark movies in Canada from late August 2020 into some of autumn 2020. Then she finally began taping at Days in late 2020.  Her first airdate was 25 Feb 2021. Jason47 tracks the closing credits.  And every week that Ali has aired in 2021, she was listed with the non-contract cast.
https://www.jason47.com/days/castcharts2021.html

Edited by janea4old

• Members

It actually seems like a mismanaged announcement.  Ali had other obligations, but Days went out of it's way to say it's a year.  I am sure she will end up doing a year's worth of work, but everything is mistimed now. 

Why would she ask Gabi to stay in the Dimera mansion?  Can't she just go back to her mom and John's house?  

• Members

I agree 100%! Lucas and Sami having an secret affair as they also spar with each other with EJ and Nicole thrown in the mix just feels like Days. This past year has seriously been the first time I thoroughly enjoyed watching Days since the 2009-2011 period, which was a may have been a strange time for the show but was carried superbly by AS, AZ, LK, NB and SR. 

I hate we’ve already lost Jennifer & Abby from the Gwen story and now this with Sweeney taking a break. I can’t stand the Ben/Ciara/Claire hour at all.