Peacock Orders DAYS Spinoff: Beyond Salem

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Beyond Salem" could easily become a regular 'thing'. I'd be all for it, depending on how this first five go. It's probably going to be far better than the main show. 

LOL right? Make it make sense ... is there a 'quota' to how many kids/grandkids of Marlena can be on the show

Please register in order to view this content

lol 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I've said it many times, but Linda Gottlieb was more than a little ahead of her time at OLTL in 1991. She got clowned by press and some of the cast for attempting seasonal arcs of 4-6 weeks or whatever early on (the domestic abuser story with Craig Wasson and his wife in fall '91, where Viki and Megan got taken hostage, etc), and that specific structure might have been off for the time. But they were also still threading new characters and long-term storylines into those short episodic arcs; Luna and Andrew being introduced and carrying torches for Max and Megan, Megan's lupus, etc. And when you look at the structure of her show later, the big arcs (Billy, Marty's rape, etc) did have a seasonal-arc feel to aspects of them.

Either way, the time has come for streaming soaps to follow a more regimented format. You can air-drop, say, 6-8 weeks of weekly half-hour episodes (or just 3-4 days a week like the British soaps, I don't care) and call that a seasonal arc and structure stories around that seasonal format, while threading long-term stories, couples, triangles, etc. within that framework. Take several months' breaks between seasons. DAYS could certainly do that, and is more likely to be able to get people like Eileen, Lisa, etc. to come in and do recurring or semi-regular appearances depending on how they block-tape for that show. The same way the Hulu soaps were handling things with Roger Howarth, and probably would've continued to do so with Eden Riegel or whoever else.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Regarding Gottlieb and 1991 OLTL, Erika Slezak said that it was not well recieved because it focused more on the guest casts roles and not the vets of the show

I agree she was on to something good, but her attempt was not executed  well

I like your modeling for soaps going forward. It would be a smart and money saving way to go

Edited by John

• Members

Days doing all these digital off-shoots are great and makes me angry we never got to see what Prospect Park  would have done with AMC & OLTL if given proper time. If the shows came on Hulu even 3 years later i bet they would have been a hit

ABC still owns all its canned soaps (RH, LOVING. CITY, OLTL, AMC, PC) why not make 10 episode limited shows for Hulu and show us where some of these beloved characters are now

id watch that and I bet many would too.

Edited by John

• Members

I think Disney/ABC may do it eventually. Sadly I think it may come too late for the cancelled brands, or I fear Pine Valley will follow the same mold of most modern primetime soaps - rushed, trying too hard and poorly plotted and paced, then burning out in a season or two. I hope I'm wrong.

• Members

And using the Santos Vs The Kanes. Julia is Dead. Her Dad Dead. I like the Santos but what war do they have with the Kanes? Um worried Pine Valley if it goes, will have tons of new characters and cameos by characters fanns of AMC wanna see. Id rather see a limited series where Erika and her brood go on vacation

• Webmaster

I expect it would have to do with the younger generation of the Kanes and the Santos families. Ian, Maddie, Sam, Spike, Miranda, etc. Maybe one of them dies (hence the mystery) and the other family blames the boyfriend/girlfriend for the death creating a feud between the two most powerful families in town in terms of excluding the Cortlandts and Chandlers due to obvious reasons.

• Members

If they built up A/B/C stories then the story arcs/seasons would flow together but they barely do that now. DAYS was consistently good from June/July to August/September and then crap served the rest of the year. 

I could happily say goodbye to half the cast and only focus on the Evans/Black and Carver families and I would be happy but can't wait to see this new series. 

• Members

I don't think there's a problem using the Santoses if you do it carefully. Sadly, most modern primetime soaps on network don't have a sense of pacing or know how to make people wait or build characters. They're so desperate to chase sweeps or the streamers and they burn out quick.