• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am so sad to hear this news. Stuart was a cut above and his Dr. Alan Quartermaine was a touchstone for me and all the doctors in my family - he played a doctor with more empathy than most and his portrayal rang true. 

I loved his Emmy acceptance speech: it showed an incredible sense of humour.

For me, he and Leslie Charleson, Jackie Zeman, Brad Maule, Lynn Herring, and Jon Lindstrom were my GH. They were my era. I am so sorry he's gone.

• Members

I never forgave GH for killing off Alan, and I probably never will. I know Frank and Ron had allegedly hoped to bring Alan back to life in 2012 during the Robin kidnapping story, particularly when the show seemed poised to go off the air, but Stuart was simply too ill. You could tell he was frail when he made appearances as Alan's ghost after that.

He was a witty, warm, classy father onscreen and a pillar of the show. I loved him to death. Can we please fix the spelling of his last name in the header?

• Members

My condolences to the GH fans.

Even if you were only a sporadic GH viewer like me, you know who Damon was and you knew of the character Alan Quartermaine. It will never not be sad how badly these daytime soaps have handled their elder veteran actors and the characters they played. Now in typical fashion, after briefly expressing condolences, members of the production are now engaging in the game of shifting blame. Sad all around.

• Toups changed the title to GH: RIP Stuart Damon :(
  • Members

I knew he'd been ill for a long time, but it's still a heartbreaker. Alan was pretty much rendered one-dimensional  a decade before his death, but Stuart always tried his best with whatever he was given. His firing was the final example of just how little respect ABC, Frons, Guza and co had for the legacies that had made GH what it was in the '80s and '90s and kept the show going even through tough times. The way the whole thing was handled felt sick and wrong. 

Of course Stuart had a long, successful career outside of GH - I've seen many today remembering him as Prince Charming or The Champions - but I'll always think of Alan and Monica, or Alan sparring with Edward, drink in hand.