Y&R April 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I know people use "convoluted" as an insult but I would actually almost be interested in the story if it was pulling on several storyline threads that had been established WAY in advance.
Here it is just dumped on our doorstep out of nowhere. 
If you are going to have your characters' lives be entangled in unlikely ways, set. it. up. That's the magic of soaps: you have the time and the long-term to weave a story like that.

Here it is just plot just served up already piping out out of nowhere presumably to tee up an upcoming storyline. But HOW WE GET THERE is part of the fun.
This is bad writing as a plot but particularly bad writing for a soap where you could find ways to spruce up a bad plot with some interesting beats.

Here we get the over-the-top unrealistic soap nonsense but without at least the satisfaction of having the story told soap-style which is the saving grace of some of those dumb plots.
To compare with something that was done better, while the Ashley/Abby twist was kind of last minute and out-of-character for Ash (btw how does the story of Abby's conception not figure more in this current story. Come on!), the entire Diane/Victor/Nikki sperm donor saga was ridiculous to the extreme, incredibly unlikely and yet they played every beat out of it and we understood how these convenient coincidences dovetailed with character motivations.

• Members

I wonder how CLB would look with a beard.

It would have been interesting if Victoria had stumbled on Chelsea’s plot and had gotten in on it.

Victoria’s relationship with Victor doesn’t progress. Rinse, repeat, zzzzz.