ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Members

Erwich had no updates at this time on the primetime All My Children follow-up, titled Pine Valley, which was sent into development over a year ago. But he did say that a la NBC rival Days of Our Lives‘ recent streaming miniseries and standalone holiday movie, he is “always open to additional iterations or explorations” of ABC’s General Hospital franchise.

https://tvline.com/2022/01/11/oscars-host-2022-academy-awards-abc-greys-anatomy-season-20/

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Gonna be real. I was intriqued and was gonna watch but It read to me like Riverdale in Pine Valley and think long time AMC fans would have been disappointed because long term characters would not have been utilized fully

I was happy the Nixon family was still involved

Edited by John

• Webmaster

I expect Craig to be fired before long. He hasn't done anything positive for ABC since he took over. He only got the ABC gig because Karey moved to 20th Television and it made sense to merge Hulu with ABC but since he took over neither entity has stood out much in terms of gaining viewership or accolades.

• Members

It certainly doesn't help that he threw so much behind Queens only for it to do so disappointingly. Add the bizarre push for Home Economics on top of that. Pretty much only Abbott Elementary and the Steve Harvey reality has done ok from his launched shows.

• Members

I think it is interesting that he was asked the question in the first place.  I mean how often are network executives asked about older pilots? 

My "hot take" is that the answer is related online clickbate.  If you look at the TVLine numbers, the stories about soaps do very well and are usually in the top 10 stories of the week.  Last week's EW story about the death of Luke Spencer did better than a story on the Golden Globes.  There is a hunger for soap news online, even if it does not translate into broadcast TV ratings (probably because those online readers are not in the prefered demographic).  But, I wonder if online entertainment sites are crafting questions in order to get more views, rather than gaining real newsworthy information?  

• Members

They bought a pilot script to see if they would want to move forward with shooting a pilot, after which they would've decided whether to write and produce more episodes or not. That's the traditional way that TV development works. (It's become more common for high-profile projects to get a straight-to-series order, where they start writing the whole season rather than waiting for the pilot to be shot and picked up.)

It seems as if they didn't think the pilot script was right for them or prohibitive to shoot or -- well, whatever reason they had, and who knows if they ever gave it a fair shot in the first place. But you'd never have multiple episodes of a primetime revival of a beloved property filmed before word got out to the media.