ABC: ‘All My Children’: Kelly Ripa, Mark Consuelos Developing Primetime Version

• Members

I'm not quite as skeptical as AMS. Today, everything is brands, existing IP and at times nostalgia. I think many of the soaps (mostly the ABC soaps) are existing IP and brands with value that can be reinvented down the line in a variety of ways. It's a question of if that ever happens. If it does, I've never felt network primetime was the place for it but rather streaming and in a format not dissimilar to the original, albeit seasonal and with arcs.

Sadly, the cancelled CBS/P&G soaps have not had the same cultural imprint, in part because they weren't as flashy or able to channel the changing zeitgeist in more public ways IMO. I do think Edge of Night could return at any time, but it's very unique and an outlier, a la Dark Shadows in its own way. (I have said for years they were very similar in stylization, with EON really its first cousin, but EON mastered melding the classical long-running soap format with genre trappings, which DS never bothered to do - if it had, it could've at least potentially survived the '70s.) GL could because it's so mutable, but I think that would only ever happen if CBS/Paramount got a hold of it and opted to use it as a rival to a similar soap revival from one of the other streamers or networks. They'd never take the initiative on their own. That's a shame.

Edited by Vee

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Yeah, it seems like clickbait at first the way it's introduced. That writer tends to write clickbait articles.

But Susan Lucci did talk about it on December 11, 2023, if you scroll down that soaps.sheknows article to the youtube embedded within it.
Lucci was on GMA3 (third hour of Good Morning America).

To keep it simple, I'll just post the youtube here:  They start talking about the AMC reboot at 3:05.  Lucci says she's been told it's still alive.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

When I said "everyone involved," I didn't mean Bob Nixon. 

Please register in order to view this content

It's more than who'd they bring in to write and produce the show, though.  It's also about the vision for the new show and its' tone.  From everything that I have read about it, it sounds like "Pine Valley," or whatever it would be called, would be dark, and not at all like the AMC I remember watching.  In fact, it's as if Megan McTavish is back and ready for prime time!