GH November 2020 Discussion

• Members

I’m still a relative newbie to General Hospital (dipping in and out less than I do with Y&R and Days) but one thing I’ve noticed is the pacing is quite tricky to pin down. Things I’d expect to be drawn out are coming out already. I’m thinking about Cyrus being told about Taggart, and how quickly Sasha has become collateral damage in all this.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This was one of the best weeks I've seen on GH in a long time. There was progress in pretty much every storyline as opposed to pointless filler. I hope the show keeps this momentum going.

Hope so too. They need to be on the canvas. With any luck, they'll have an actual storyline and not just appear to satisfy the episode guarantee

• Members

The pacing is bizarre on GH currently. Frankly on all the soaps IMO. 

I also think being shut down for months probably led to speeding things up a bit to meet November sweeps. 

It amuses me seeing folks thinking GH is fire all of a sudden (I'm referring to soap twitter). Sure, this week has been good ... when things happen, people respond, which I've noticed, but then it never lasts. I feel the same about DAYS. It has some fire weeks but then goes back into the doldrums.

We can hope. 

Apparently Roger Howarth took a paycut so Franco's probably not going anywhere (siiiiiiiiigh

Please register in order to view this content

)

Edited by KMan101

• Members

lmao true

"Friz" is a dead end. Happy gets you nowhere but the backburner on a soap. But I guess it's better than seeing Liz be trashed. It just feels like so many characters [many women] are secondary ... if that makes any sense

I know

Please register in order to view this content

just what I heard around the grapevine on soap twitter so who knows. I figured they'd find a way. It was too good to be true. 

• Members

It absolutely makes sense, and I think it played the largest part in eroding soap audiences over the years.  This genre does best when steeped in things that traditionally are considered women’s stories.  Family, romance, friendship and community.  Even triangles and rivalries- often with two women fighting over the same man and the women were the dynamic and interesting characters that drove the story engine.

Even Monty’s action/adventure GH maintained that audience because those plots always had strong female characters and an important family or romance angle, or both.  The Asian Quarter storyline payoff was so strong because it was about reuniting a mother and her daughter.  The Left Handed Boy and Ice Princess were about Luke and Laura falling in love around the overall plots.

Somewhere in the late 1990’s the genre seemed to explode with storytelling choices that diminished the importance of the female characters, lost their points of view, and often was demeaning towards them.  They often were downright degrading.  I think that more than anything is what has destroyed daytime.

As far as Liz and Franco- they were doing an okay job setting up story with their family and then that all dropped.  Now after all this time I’m not even sure that Liz deserves better, because they have had her justify so much awful storylines and pairings over the years.

• Members

Just when they finally figured out what they wanted to do with Dev...

Tbh I have been waiting for something like this for a long time. The cast has been wayyyy too crowded for too long, but at the same time I feel as though they're getting rid of the wrong people again. Some characters who haven't been used well in years are still hanging on, while other characters who have potential are being squandered and then killed off. 

And I think we can finally confirm without a doubt that Frank Valentini has no identity except to be Mo's little bitch. Clearly the role of Sonny has gone to Mo's head and he thinks he runs the damn show like it's Corinthos Coffee. I never would've guessed that Frank would sacrifice one of his pets for one of Mo's.

Hey Mo, do the fans a favor and tell Frank that you don't really like Roger Howarth lol

Edited by AbcNbc247