Worst Character Assassinations?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When the character left with Josh/Rod Landry, she had mostly been reformed.

Despite liking the original actress Babette Renee Props and Ellie's commitment to being a walking billboard for 90s fashion trends, Ellie made little to no lasting impact (other than being a spoiler for Iva's relationships) and there were already so many Snyders on the canvas that Ellie really wasn't needed. The only angle that I'd find interesting is if they brought back Props but go in a totally different direction with the character. Maybe uncover that Brock was never dead and entered the witness protection program and Ellie ran off to be with him (or something). Have Ellie turn up with husband (whose enemies are all either in jail or dead) and a couple of kids.

• Members

Despite Jennifer Ashe (another actor Alan should try to get for a reunion, along with Peter Boynton) playing the heck out of that Meg, Tonio betrayal story, it didn't sit right with me that she and 'cousin Josh's got together, despite how talented the actors involved are.

I stopped watching ATWT in the late spring, early summer the year it got cancelled so I didn't see Meg's final story. From the sound of things, I am glad to have missed it.

• Members

Like Tony.  Guza got them into the darkness, with no actual plan to get them out of it.  Break the toys and leave them broken.

I think the only front burner “classic” characters he didn’t try or succeed in dismantling from 1996 to his first firing in the early 2000’s were Monica, Bobbie, Lucy and Ned. Alan became a drug addict, Justus killed Damian, Tony kidnapped Robin, Luke and Laura were slowly broken apart, he tried to turn Felicia darker after the Kevin stalking storyline, and then the affair with Luke did her in.  If I remember correctly, even Mac was going to have played a part in whatever happened with Miranda during her missing years.

• Members

It’s actually kind of amazing that Bobbie and Monica got out of that era relatively unscathed, considering the destruction that was happening to their long term partners and families. (Monica had that iffy story with Dr. Pierce, I remember.) They just ended up being marginalized. Lucy survived by buggering off to PC.

Edit: when I say “unscathed,” I mean that their integrity as characters wasn’t as damaged as many of their peers. Had they not been punished for growing older, they’d still have been very viable.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Agreed @titan1978 Tony Jones never recovered after Carly told him Michael wasn't his son. He went on the backburner till they killed him off. 

Maybe not character assassination but GH's Bobbie became a sideshow to Sonny and Carly after she accepted Carly as her daughter. I loved the way she used to hold Sarah Brown's Carly accountable for her crap. 

Any GH character that compromised themselves to allow for Franco's acceptance on the canvas died a little. (Monica, Carly, Elizabeth...) 

Clint on OLTL. After Viki slept with Sloan, they broke Clint down. He became a side character until he left. Ver Dorn's Clint had an off the rails stint in the mid 00s if I recall. I don't remember much of it to assess whether or not it was character assassination, but it did seem like that was not the same Clint in behavior from the 80s and 90s.

Viki suffered alot too. The writers implied that she (not Nikki Smith) let baby Jessica get kidnapped by Mitch, making her out to be a bad mother. Viki's character suffered as well during the Tess plot which said Nikki neglected Jessica, leading to her molestation.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I liked just seeing more of her at the time. But yeah...hindsight they could have written all of that to happen so much better if that (Marty goes back to the dark side over John...heck she could just go back to her troublemaking roots, but not cray cray though SH did good with that). They had a good thing with a Natalie/Marty rivalry that was organic. And then they started slanted writing and it was just downhill. 

And I was so disappointed that as one of my favorite characters that she just got on a plane and we never got a conclusion to that shown.