Iconic on more than one soap

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe North was asked to appear at several points over the last 20 years, but he allegedly does not look kindly on his time in daytime and is one of the single most in-demand video game voice stars in the world now. (I think he auditioned for the first Steven Lars/ Steve Webber recast in '05, as well)

Edited by Vee

• Members

I completely forgot Sarah Brown as two characters on the same show, Carly and Claudia.  I loved Claudia!

Has anyone mentioned Rena Sofer yet?  Lois was fantastic, and even though I do not watch B&B I know that she has driven a lot of story there off and on for years.

• Members

What is so great about Kristen is that Eileen was just waiting there, doing good work as always but in a supporting role.  Charming and had great chemistry with everyone.  I loved her friendships with Jennifer and Billie.  And then she just got more neurotic about John and Marlena, and within a couple of years was completely and wonderfully unhinged.  And that was just Kristen.  The other characters just played up her range and camp factor.  And it is nothing like Ashley.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

How is Laura Wright iconic? She has been on four soaps where she was literally on five days a week every week of every year. She never even went on maternity leave. God forbid she miss even one episode, let alone three months or six weeks. Yet, the ratings cratered on each soap. I stopped watching Loving not long after she joined. I even checked out The City for a while. She replaced Noelle Beck as Loving's heroine. She never did fill those shoes. Loving got cancelled. The City lasted one year. She joined Guiding Light at the perfect time, when it was in a resurgence. The ratings were between 4 and 4.5 around that time. When she left, it was down to 2.1. She went to General Hospital because she wanted to be on magazine covers. Talk about shallow. Wonder what she thinks now that there is only one magazine left and nobody has read it for years? GH had a 3.1 rating at the time. After two years of her being on every day (as were the other actresses who played Carly), the ratings dropped to 1.5. Notice a trend? That's half the audience gone. GH has been the subject of serious cancellation talk the last few years. It keeps getting renewed despite hovering in the 1.5 range consistently.

• Members

Kim Zimmer was on four soaps when they were cancelled. On The Doctors, she played a character previously played by Kathryn Harrold and Kathleen Turner. Santa Barbara was cancelled with her in the cast. One Life to Live was cancelled with her in the cast. Both her stints on Guiding Light had her driving millions of viewers away. GL fans derisively called it The Reva Shayne Show. Her second stint ended with the cancellation of the longest running program in broadcasting history. Guiding Light soared in the ratings after Zimmer left in 1990. GL was clicking on all cylinders under the wise leadership of Robert Calhoun over the next three years. GL actually supplanted Days of our Lives as daytime's most popular soap. This was unimaginable prior to then.

• Members

Now that I think about it, Kristen's character trajectory on DAYS is a lot like Geraldine Court's Dr. Ann Larimer on TD. Ann began as a good girl (to the point of being saccharine). Then she transformed into a psycho, kidnapped her romantic rival and stashed her in a mental ward, and finally got called out by the man she loved during a big party. Sound familiar?

Please register in order to view this content