Y&R October 2020 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, soapfan770 said:

He’s definitely the best adult Nate they have cast on the show thus far but his history hasn’t been explored at all. I mean does he even mention Olivia? Terrible!

Same thing with Theo, the show went out of their way to make him Stuart Brooks’ grandson but the Brooks connection hasn’t even been explored at all. 

2 upsetting examples, when theo was said to have had a connection to the "Famous" Brooks family all they did was show Traci telling Jack that she spoke with the sisters to get some picture or something faxed to them and that's all the mention of Brooks we hear. What the hell is that?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I hear often when people discuss JG's writing THAT would be him 'telling, and not showing' us. 

What was the point of connecting Theo to the Brooks if they were not going to use them or bring on more from the first family on Y&R

7 minutes ago, Taoboi said:

From what I hear often when people discuss JG's writing THAT would be him 'telling, and not showing' us. 

What was the point of connecting Theo to the Brooks if they were not going to use them or bring on more from the first family on Y&R

To be fair. Last year they did ask the actress who played leslie to come back for a few eps last year. She said no

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

To be fair. Last year they did ask the actress who played leslie to come back for a few eps last year. She said no

Awww. 

That would have been nice.

Alas...

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

After the treatment Janice received when she made her first return, I'm not surprised she refused the offer.

I guess I should have said Leslie not Janice.

I was  referring to the fact that Leslie was treated as a glorified extra in her return.

There could have been some flashbacks and Lorie and Leslie discussing their past and what has happened since then but they were wheeled out for some scenes with Jill and that was it.

I guess Janice was burned by that and didn't want more of the same.

Edited by Paul Raven

The thing is, it's so easy to bring back the Brookses and Fosters (through Chuckie, through Brooks Prentiss, through Chris and Snapper's kids) without having to resort to crap like Theo's instant connection to the family.

8 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

After the treatment Janice received when she made her first return, I'm not surprised she refused the offer.

Was that when Lynde and Bauer returned for the show’s 45th anniversary a couple years ago? Yikes what happened?

6 minutes ago, Khan said:

The thing is, it's so easy to bring back the Brookses and Fosters (through Chuckie, through Brooks Prentiss, through Chris and Snapper's kids) without having to resort to crap like Theo's instant connection to the family.

Bingo. Jill’s niece would be nice to have on canvas for sure!

20 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

What happened?

24 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

Was that when Lynde and Bauer returned for the show’s 45th anniversary a couple years ago? Yikes what happened?

Jill WITH her niece would be nice on the canvas. 

But what happened with Leslie?

On 9/30/2020 at 3:19 PM, Darn said:

I've watched dumb soaps. I've watched nonsensical soaps. I've watched insulting soaps. But I have never in my life seen a soap this BORING.

In total agreement, and for far too long. Y&R is my warm-up until DOOL at 1pm and I never turn back.

16 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I guess I should have said Leslie not Janice.

I was  referring to the fact that Leslie was treated as a glorified extra in her return.

There could have been some flashbacks and Lorie and Leslie discussing their past and what has happened since then but they were wheeled out for some scenes with Jill and that was it.

I guess Janice was burned by that and didn't want more of the same.

Wow i didnt know she was asked last year to come back, i do know the actress who plays Lorie was suppose to be attending victors 40th in Feb, but she had to decline because she was on a trip.

16 hours ago, Khan said:

If they can suddenly make a nobody like Theo apart of the Brooks family then they can definitely bring on the those options you just listed.

16 hours ago, Dylan said:

Do you know what month they asked her to come back cause didn't Theo find out just October or november last year?

16 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

When they cane back in 2018 they had them rehash some old storyline about Stuart brooks almost dying, i felt like that was pointless in this visit they could have had them gradually bump into Jill and hash that out, but no they wasted it all on that!!

They could have went to the hospital to see how Victor was or maybe talk with jack or Ashley they just didnt do it right.

The funny thing is that it’s really the “black cast” that’s bringing it in terms of charisma and not trying to phone it in. They just suffer from bad writing and character development.

They would be a goldmine for a better writing and less racist team.

6 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

The funny thing is that it’s really the “black cast” that’s bringing it in terms of charisma and not trying to phone it in. They just suffer from bad writing and character development.

They would be a goldmine for a better writing and less racist team.

This. They’re not only incredibly beautiful, but they are all successful, occupy high-level professions and have charismatic on-screen presence, but my God, the writing for them is so bad. 

At this point, I don’t even think Susan Dansby’s story consultancy is going to do much to galvanise things. She was traditionally quite good at writing (in general, but especially) for the Winters family.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:34 PM, Khan said:

Ive been saying this for years. You’ve had Restless Style and GC Buzz and never thought to bring back a member of the Brooks family when that was their business? Hell, Nina cams back and they didn’t even utilize her for Restless Style. Leanna Love is another that made sense for media stories. I always felt Steve Burton should’ve been Brooks. All of these reasons is why I don’t like the Theo twist. At the very least they could’ve made him Brooks’ son. This twist of a dead Abbott/Brooks sibling adds nothing to the show dramatically and that’s the problem with the show. In general they have good ideas or potential, but it’s like they look at the route that has the least amount of drama and go for it.