Soap Misconceptions

• Members

No, this thread is not about children born to the wrong father.

When I was a kid I thought the title of One Life to Live meant that no one on the show could come back from the dead. I thought All My Children was about Erica's kids. Clearly I was very young and very wrong.

What did you get wrong about your show when you first started watching?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lol.  It gets back to the hospital characters about every 5 to 7 years.  But if you watch between those years...

When I was a kid, I thought The Young and the Restless was a strange title considering most of the characters were at least 30. 

• Members

You know what...that's what Port Charles should have probably been about. A half-hour drama about the life of notorious mob boss Sonny Corinthos and his family, a frantic mayor trying to get control of the organized crime plaguing the city, the PCPD and other branches of the PC criminal justice system, and of course tie in some scandal and love in the afternoon. It also would have alleviated the chokehold Sonny has on GH

• Members

Even after I "grew up" and was watching soaps on my own, I thought it was funny because by then (early 2000s), the majority of the cast had been on the show for 15-20 years or more.

I think between watching as a young child and also watching older TV shows in general, ones that would make reference to soaps every now and then, titles never threw me, but I got a lot of characters wrong, and it's super embarrassing to admit now. When I first started watching AMC, I didn't know who all of the characters in the opening were, so I'd try to match them up with the names in the closing credits. I'm honestly too embarrassed to admit what I got wrong, but just know - it was badddddd.

• Members

When I started watching Y&R, I didn't know the history behind the Jabot name so I assumed it might be a french word. I asked my French teacher in high school if the word meant anything in French 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

When I was little, I thought the YR logo was just some random, sexy, modern design, I did not get that it was a Y and an R.

I thought Susan Lucci was Jewish.

I thought the actors could hear us talking at home and they just ignored us like live theatre.

Not unlike my recent Nedra Volz revelation, there were quite a few actors' names I mispronounced for years, I'm sure there are plenty that I'm still getting wrong. The only time you really heard soap actors names aloud was on awards shows.

One of my college best friends and I often joke about her aha moment watching ATWT as a kid: "Ohhh, as the WORLD turns..." I'm always like, "WTF were you thinking up to that point!? I can't even wrap my brain around what you were missing.

"

• Members

To this day I'm pretty sure I have no idea who the [!@#$%^&*] Covina actually was on AMC. They used to mention her constantly and I was like, 'who??'

When I began watching there were like six family homes with proper names - Wildwind, Linden House, etc. I could not keep them straight and still can't.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh and since I was talking about OLTL in another thread: when  I was young, I would be watching a Nora/HBS scene on TV in the kitchen, and my mom, who was a longtime ATWT viewer, would stop in and say, “Oh! That’s Margo!” And I would argue her down that she was confusing her with another actress. Turns out, I was very, very wrong.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I’ve been watching soaps since I was a toddler.  I remember being confused when watching a soap, a man told his wife over the phone that he had been fired and I didn’t understand why he didn’t have burns all over his body.

I also remembering being disappointed the first time I turned off the TV and then turned it back on an hour later, the show did not continue where I left off.  I was pissed.

• Members

Corvina got on my damn nerves. Here's an episode I uploaded featuring that ridiculous note inside the leopard scheme that she and Kendall cooked up.