This perfomer would have been good in that role

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think that role of Tony Barclay on All My Children could have been played by either Mark Arnold (The Edge of Night and One Life to Live) or Burke Moses (Loving and One Life to Live).

Tony was played by Brent Barrett, and I think that he could have played Gavin on The Edge of Night or Curtis on Loving well.

Mark Arnold replaced Ted Marceaux as Rob Crown/Coronel on One Life to Life, but (even though I liked Mark Arnold on The Edge of Nignt), I far preferred Ted Marceaux as Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think that actor Tuc Watkins (One Life to Live) would have been terrific in the role of Wade Matthews on All My Children.   (Wade was the third husband of Phoebe and the brother of Robin.)

It is well known that All My Children was not very lucky in the early years with casting the role of Lincoln Tyler.   The first Lincoln (James Karen) was regarded as too old.   The second had an accent that was too thick.   I think that the third Lincold (Nicholas Pryor) was probably pretty good, but, at the time, there was not much for Lincoln to do.   So the character was written off, and later returned recast by Peter White.

James Karen, Lincoln #1, was born in 1923.    Here are two actors who I think would have been good cast as the first Lincoln:  Michael Lipton (born in 1925) and William Redfield (born in 1927).    Both had previously played roles on As the World Turns:   Mr. Redfield as the first husband of Ellen and Mr. Lipton as Penny's second husband.   Michael Lipton and Rosemary Prinz (who played Lincoln's first wife Amy on All My Children) had actually played a married couple on As the World Turns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lisa Peluso and Laura Bonnagiro on All My Children are excellent choices.

I recently watch an episode from the early 1960s with Diana Hyland (Young Doctor Malone) of The Naked City.   This epsiode made me realize that she would have been an excellent choice to play Laura Stockbridge Collins on Dark Shadows (a role played by the late Diana Millay).    I know that, at the time, she may have been on the primetime serial Peyton Place, but she could have been extremely good in the role on Dark Shadows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Allen Norse played three roles on The Edge of Night - Roger Harper, Roy Cameron, and Joe Pollock #2   He also appeared as Dr. George Richards on The Doctors, Otto Martin on As the World Turns and Sgt. Martin on Another World.   I think that he could have played Harlan Tucker on All My Children well.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

On the blog for Another World, the question was asked about who could have played "Aunt Janet" on Another World (the role created by the late Liza Chapman) had the role been brought back to the show while Harding Lemay was writing Another World.

I want to ask the posters of this blog.

My first thought was Barbara Berjer.   However, she was under contract to Guiding Light at the time (playing Barbara Norris Thorpe #2).   She had replaced Augusta Dabney on Guiding Light, so I thought about Augusta Dabney.   However, Augusta Dabney had appeared on Another World as Laura Baxter, the wife of the man with whom Aunt Janet had been having an affair.

Diana Douglas (Lily Chernak Donnelly on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing) is one possiblility.

Lori March (many shows but best remembered as Valerie Hill Ames on The Secret Storm) is another possibiliay I can think of.

Mary K. Wells (The Brighter Day, The Edge of Night, The Secret Storm, Return to Peyton Place) is another posibility.    She was writing All My Children at the time - as was another actress/writer Clarice Blackburn (who also probably would have been good).

Virginia Kaye had replaced Kay Campbell as Rose on The Edge of Night.  But, Rose was off The Edge of Night during the time that Harding Lemay would have possibly brought back Aunt Janet to Another World.

Ellen Deming (Meta Bauer Banning #4 on The Guiding Light) is someone who may have been good.   I am not sure if she had retired or was just not working due to lack of roles duirng this time.

Millette Alexander was still on The Guiding Light as Dr. Sara McIntyre Gantry Werner Thorpe Blackledge #3 at the time, so I won't consider her.  But she certainly would have been a good candidate for this role.

Gloria DeHaven had played Sara Fuller on As the World Turns and also later played Jillian's mother on Ryan's Hope.    She was in California during this period and had roles in the ABC drama Nakia and the syndicated serial Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman plus guest appearences on many episodic television shows.   

I don't think that Rosemary Prinz would have considered Another World following her departure (and ultimate cancellation) of How to Survive a Marriage.   But, one never knows ...

I think that Maeve McGuire would have been an excellent choice.   She left The Edge of Night, and I thought that she had no intention of being on another soap opera.    But, one day, I was shock to learn that she had replaced Christina Pickles in the role of Elena on Another World.   This role would probably have suited her better.

I will try to think of others, and I hope that more possibilities will be offered by others!

• 1 month later...