Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m excited to see any of the stuff from the 80’s. I wasn’t even born for pretty much every episode they’ve aired from the 80’s, if not all as I was in born in 88.

I also don’t really go on YouTube to watch old episodes on my phone or computer, so being able to watch these episodes on my tv has been great.

• Members

Wait I missed today’s episode but was it actually the volcano episode?

Please register in order to view this content

Y&R’s worst story ever, glad I missed it.

+1. I didn’t even remember they had reaired the wedding in ‘01 but at the time most of the classics Y&R would air would be 10 years old or so. I remember GL airing a 1983 episode on New Years Day 2003 but not even Y&R went that far back. 

• Members

Tricia is in the episode with Olivia and Malcolm's wedding. She phones Ryan at the church and gets him to tell her he is thinking about her.  But she's not crazy yet.

A few episodes before the wedding, Veronica is wandering in the road -her story is just beginning.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I’m still about 15 episodes behind on the classics and I’ve just reached Traci and Brad’s wedding.

I had previously never seen Brenda Epperson as Ashley so it’s nice they’ve featured quite a few episodes with her. I love Eileen, but Brenda plays Ashley with such warmth. She just really seems like a really nice person. Not that Eileen doesn’t show it at times, but Brenda really just radiates this aura of warmth. I like it.

Dina is also in this episode and the Abbott’s seem fine with her. I always found it strange when she returned a few years ago the show acted as though the kids had never made up with her and that she’d been gone from their lives for like 50 years.

I still don’t get why Jack and Nikki live at the ranch. If I hated someone the way Jack does Victor, the last thing I’d want to do is sleep in his bed every night or live in his home.

Mamie seems like such an important part of the Abbott family, crazy how I don’t think she’s ever been mentioned since I started watching the show back in like 06 or 07.

Brad also seems way too interested in Ashley considering he’s marrying Traci.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

Watching these older episodes, I totally understand now why people much prefer Heather Tom to Amelia.

I’m watching the episode now where Kevin sets Gina’s on fire and it’s interesting hearing Neil talk about how much older Kevin is than Lily, because by the time I started watching the show was determined to make Kevin a peer of the 20 something’s when he was pushing 40 or older. And how the hell did his character come back from trying to burn Colleen alive?

It’s also crazy how much younger this second Diane is compared to the original I’ve seen in previous episodes. 

The Winters may have the worst set on this show. Maybe it was being phased out when I started watching but my god it’s awful. Neil has worked at Jabot and Newman for years and THAT’S all he could afford?!

What happened to the Gina character? She’s been in so many of these episodes and has never been mentioned since I started watching watching the show.

Also even after hearing about Sharon and Nick’s history pre-Phyllis and watching the show since Phick were a thing, I still find myself wishing Sharon was back as a Newman.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

The Phyllis/Jack proposal episode  gave me some of the drama I was waiting for with Ashley/Traci/Brad/Colleen drama.

I had asked in the Y&R Old articles thread if that had ever been an issue and I’m glad to see it was.

Interesting seeing this episode and Ryan and Victoria are together. I had seen them as a couple in the 1991 episodes and this is ten years later.

Peter Bergman sold the hell out of his love for Phyllis.

I’ve really enjoyed the first Mac I’ve seen in these older episodes. When I was watching Cybill Shepherd’s daughter was playing her and was one of the worst actresses I’ve ever seen. And then there was another Mac who was so happy go lucky and dating JT, she seemed like a different character.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

VR once referred to that apartment as a kitchenette, which is a good description of the space.

Ashley Bashioum was my favorite of the actresses to have played Mac. Some people criticized her and claimed she was expressionless but I don't agree. I liked the fact that she didn't feel the need to over-emote so when the tears and the anger did come, it felt more genuine. Everybody can't be sunny all the time either. I appreciated that.

Heather Tom was very good at walking that line between 'fire and ice'.  Cold fury, I would call it.  Had HT stayed in the role, I think we'd be seeing a lot more soap slaps on Y&R.

The show hasn't really committed to completely building up the Sharon character.  A good start would be to have her reconnect with her mama and have her find her daddy.  They did this will Victor years ago, and it went a long way in humanizing the character and giving insight into why and how Victor turned out the way he did, psychologically.

• Members

The thing with Kevin is that he was also a child molester! Lily was 14 and very clearly in high school when he tricked her into that relationship. His redemption has always troubled me. I was okay with it when Neil, Dru, Colleen and JT could all speak on his past and held him to a distance. In 2004 when they brought on Joan Van Ark’s darker and more nuanced Gloria, they did a good job of showing you why Michael and Kevin were how they were, but without making excuses for their behavior. They did have their allies like Lauren and Mac which bothered some people, but I thought it was fair and realistic. When the old guard was written out this all changed. Suddenly Colleen was written as someone attacking Kevin for being upset he’d tried to kill her and raped her best friend. Then his actions were overlooked and he was hanging with Katherine Chancellor! Not only is that bad writing, but the character has never worked since they did that. 

Traci and Brad’s second marriage suffered a lot due to his flirtation with Ashley. They didn’t even officially get together back then, but it was enough to mess with Traci’s insecurities and eventually doom that relationship. Ashley and Traci had a very frosty relationship which is completely overlooked now. I *hate* Traci the saint. She used to have insecurities, sexuality and layers. Now she is just the Town Saint. It’s great they use her, but it’s not who Traci was. 

As for Mac, I LOVED Ashley Bashioum. She was so unique, but very much a Bill Bell actor. It’s similar to Heather Tom as Victoria. Bill Bell and Y&R knew how to cast actors that really fit the style of the show that wouldn’t work on an ABC or NBC soap in some cases. With Mac I don’t understand how it was so hard to recast her. Kelly Kruger has grown enough that I’d accept her there full time, but there’s no investment in her character. It’s a shame considering we need heroines and she is a Chancellor with kids carrying that blood. 

Another thing I’ve noticed watching the Y&R and B&B classics is what a shell of herself Lauren is. She is SO boring. I liked Michael and Lauren in 2005 but they have been Zzzzz for 15 years now. She has none of the personality traits that made her a popular character. I personally would love to see her do another long term B&B stint. At least there she may get her fun and sexuality back.