Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks! I bet some people were probably like “who the heck is that blonde girl with Cole” if they didn’t know HT was gone for 8 months....I guess she had a hard time finding work outside which is why she came back.

• Members

Sarah Aldrich was such a bizarre recast choice. She couldn't act at all and didn't have the gravitas you'd expect based on what Heather Tom did or who her parents are on the show. I had 1997 on DVD at one point so I got to see her entire run and it was painful throughout. I wonder who else was in the running. 

They did a great job recasting Phyllis and Grace, but Victoria and Ashley were shockingly bad.  

• Members

I remember reading that Jennifer Gareis originally auditioned for Victoria but was cast as Grace instead. I can't think of any other soap names that would have been potential Victoria recasts in 1997. Some soap names thrown around for Victoria in 2004/2005 were Sarah Brown and Christie Clark. There was a 1990s Y&R trivia book that mentioned Alison Sweeney auditioned for Victoria in 1990.

• Members

If I recall the actress who was the original Ali McIntyre(you know, the crazy one with the Carrie Brady Barbie doll) on Days also auditioned for the Victoria in 1997. I can’t remember her name at the moment except she was trying to get  off All My Children at time. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Thank you, that’s her! I just couldn’t remember her last name off the top of my head. It seemed to anytime Victoria was to be recast her name always popped up on the short list, and yes did try again in 2004 and 2005. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I compared today's airing to the original airing's daily recap https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/1997/970707.php#fri  and there seems to be one exchange btw Ryan and Victoria that was edited out.

"Tricia goes into another room. She calls Ryan on his cell phone just as Victoria is teasing him about the 'complication'."

Other than that, nothing in the recap was edited out. But in today's airing, we never even get a clear shot of Sarah Aldrich's face.

• Members

Hey does anyone remember how the first nikki was and how long she was in the role before melody took over?

I know nikki came on in 1978, i wonder who the first nikki interacted with when she first came on the show.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Sarah Aldrich as Victoria

Sarah Aldrich as Victoria - in the back row with Cole

^ In the back row: Cole with Sarah Aldrich as Victoria.

In the front, to the right of Shari Shattuck's Ashley,

(on Ashley's left but on the right of the photo) ...is Pamella D'Pella as "Julia". Julia works for Olivia as Nate's nanny. She seems to be a wedding guest here instead of "the help", and there is a gentleman next to her that seems to be her plus one?

Who is this couple that enters and greets Julia and Julia's plus one, and are later shown as seated with Jill and Keith?

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Thanks for sharing!! I know someone on this board recently shared they read all of SOC’s 1997 recaps recently, was going to have to do that myself sometime. I know some of their earlier recaps for the recap writers would through in their own opinion as well (not just Y&R, but seen it for ATWT & GL too). I remember tracking down the 2/21/97 episode recap for an ep I found in my grandma’s vast VHS collection to determine a date and it was all like “Superfluous scenes of Jack, Diane, John, and Ashley in the lab also occurred”

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

PB didn’t impress me at all with the constant yelling. I also thought he handled a Nikki awfully roughly — grabbing her, shaking her. Just overdone.

Shemar did look amazing. Just dayum. Of course, KSJ also looked incredibly good.

That Jeremy Ross actor was bad. I can see why he didn’t last.

i LOL at Ryan’s phone and really wanted a closeup of him putting the phone back into his pocket.

Jill looked great in the hat. Bill Bell gave Shari Shattuck a great sarcastic line with “Nice hat,” but Shattuck blew it and turned it into nothing. God, she was lousy.

John slammed a Jill and a Katherine bashed her, too — and Jill just took it. So these supposedly classy people took the low road while lowlife Jill went high. Interesting.