Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

It seemed  like the show sort of Went away from that kookier humor as the 90s progressed. 89-90 in particular seem to have more broader comedic moments then to when it became more of the subtle humor we had later on. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can see that, I figured the scene was only absurdly silly because Leanna was involved. In fact at first I almost thought Jumbo Man was going be revealed as a cross dresser the way he was acting when he pulled out that satin robe.

Please register in order to view this content

The show had a comedic musical bit and sounds in the early 90’s (like when Katherine told Jill & Rex she had to fly back via a helicopter from an aborted cruise) but probably the best comedy bit I’ve seen from these years was BD’s Jill fantasizing about her life after the divorce settlement to John with a music box sounding version of “We’re in the Money” complete with a disheveled Katherine as Jill’s personal manicurist. 

• Members

In the prior episodes, David figured out that his neighbor Vivian was connected to a previous wife he had murdered, and that she had moved to Genoa City to investigate, and that she knew it was David -- because she had figured out that Nina's brooch was the same brooch as the one David's late wife had.  So then you see him arriving inside her apartment and you know he's about to do something, and she's terrified. And then the next scene he is getting on the plane with the wedding party to go to Hawaii.  They never showed that he killed Vivian because he did it offscreen, but it was totally implied.  This made his cheeriness in Maui all the more sinister to me.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I remember seeing that on YT a few years back you’re right that is pretty sinister indeed.

Was that the first time Bell ever used the “I was there but wasn’t there when they died” twist? Or implied but unproven murders. I know that tactic was later used for Michael and Rebecca, Sheila and her therapist on B&B, and Phyllis and Sasha. 

• Members

I saw the full Danny/Cricket wedding a few years ago at the Museum of TV/Radio in NYC and wrote a recap here: https://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/topic/38254-yr-old-articles/page/356/

The only thing I can tell they edited out of today's broadcast was Gina's wedding processional song. She sang a song Barbra Streisand made famous "Starting Here Starting Now" https://youtu.be/dzPOPp8wmwg

You don't see Gina at all during Cricket's walk down the aisle

Edited by yrfan1983

• Members

Thanks! Can't really figure out what these episodes have in common yet.

2874 is June 27, 1984! This was around the time that Nikki was looking for Victor's mother, but I don't know if there's a recap for that particular day.

March 19 1997 is that Victor/Adam boxing glove scene they always show: https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/1997/970317.php#wed 

October 16, 2006 features the reliquary/art history storyline, Neil/Dru/Carmen, and the NVP business plot. https://www.soapcentral.com/yr/recaps/2006/061016.php

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I have no clue what the theme could Be based on those episodes, but I’m glad the 2006 episode is loaded with familiar characters considering it isn’t a great period for the show. Dru, Neil, Jack, Jill, Brad and Colleen are all in it. Will also be nice to see Ji Min again. 

I’m very curious about what the 1984 episode will be about and who it will feature. I hope we get a chance to see a good dose of Brenda Dickson in a remastered episode. 

• Members

Whew!! I only saw the 1997 and then 2006 and literally went “that’s it??!! Lol so cool to see another 1984!

Please register in order to view this content

maybe it’s a Newman family week? 

edit: Never mind...the 2006 doesn’t seem anything Newman related?? 

Aww man!  I was thinking that song was an original and they’d Keep it in..

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Your recap is great. Paley should really just use it on their website. I felt like the transition into the reception with everyone in different dresses was so abrupt that I wondered if they'd cut something or even pasted two episodes together; but reading your summary I see we didn't miss anything major. It looks like they went from on location for the ceremony to the studio for the reception which looks really tacky.

It's funny that they cut out the song when Sony had previously chosen to feature it as a clip for its Minisodes.  I uploaded it a while ago, and to my surprise, it didn't get blocked,!

• Members

I found this old recap from the last week of June 1984 I had saved (I'm sure it was originally posted here but I did not think to save the poster's name, so apologies for not giving credit):

Danny eloped with Traci after saving her from an attempted suicide. Victor fumed to learn that Cora is staying with Kay. Cora lied to Victor that she's hanging around to get what money she can from him. Jill fumed that Jack said he might marry her if John throws her over. The Abbotts were floored to hear of Traci's marriage; while Tim is still puzzled that she's avoiding him. Patty waited for Danny, who forgot about their date plans. Dina taunted Lauren about how Paul will feel when he sees the steamy video music tape love scenes between Lauren and Danny. Jack admitted to Dina he had a one-night stand with Jill and that the incident is recorded on film.