RIP Kobe Bryant

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Honestly, I pretty much agree with this. I do think the allegations against Kobe were bad. And I didn't forget them nor do I think he's perfect or anything. That being said, I really don't think drudging that up to try and bash him or overshadow the grief that people feel over the tragedy is the right thing to do right now. I was posting in the sports section of another site, and someone brought up a very lengthy post about that, trashing him and they talked more about that then they did about the tragedy yesterday. They made the tragedy of him, his young daughter and several other people dying, including another child, an afterthought to the allegations levied against him.

They barely mentioned the tragedy and the people that were affected by it in their rant against Kobe and I found that to be distasteful. And also inappropriate. Especially at this time. I do believe at some people more people will bring up the allegations as they talk about Kobe his life and legacy, which I do understand. I think there was an article yesterday after his death, where it was mentioned. That's something bad that happened and it makes sense that people will bring it up again at some point. But I think trying to harp on it now, to the point to where some people are making the tragedy that happened yesterday an afterthought, isn't right. 

I also find it a bit inappropriate the way that some people including on that site and on places like Twitter are getting "mad" that the other people that were killed aren't being focused on as much. People definitely are upset about them dying too, it's just Kobe is someone that a lot of people knew AND all of the people involved in the crash haven't even been identified yet. It feels like some people just want to be mad about stuff and be "those people," that just has to say negative stuff/act a contradictory way in a tragic time. Even when it's not really the right time/inappropriate. The internet brings that type of behavior out in people. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

there's not a person walking this PLANET who is PP, but 9 people were killed, with them two 13 year olds. I will NOT bring up this crap that now means absolutely nothing after what happened yesterday morning sir. if you want to...God Bless. But the timing is so beyond way off.

• Members

That's not the way things work. Sexual assault is hard to prove even in the best of cases. Even when you have eye witnesses, DNA evidence, video evidence and character witnesses, the individual will just claim it was consensual and they like rough sex, and it becomes a he said/she said issue. Look no further than Brock Turner for a case study in this. Individuals "settle", because it is the only way they can get something out of the process, after being harmed. I would say it is often the reverse. If they are settling they likely did something wrong. They just want to use money, to make the situation go away. 

I know a lot of people are feeling a lot of pain by his death. It's shocking to have someone so young, die in such a quick fashion. He was only 41 years old. He was very young, that said I never really cared for basketball, so I'm not as heartbroken as some. I think what people are seeing is that they just weren't big fans or in love with Kobe, or basket ball. So to them it's just another day in the life, and they remember what he was accused of. 

Edited by Skin

• Members

If she took a pay off WHY? If you are raped you'd want JUSTICE not a pay off. To me there's something fishy there. 

Anywho now isn't the time to harp on this. Give a few days. I doubt his family reads this board but geesh people don't need to be bombarded with this everywhere. 

• Members

Yeah, from what I read even law enforcement (both the LAPD and the Sherrif's department) had grounded their helicopters from flying until later that afternoon as the fog was so severe, and it wasn't perceived to be safe. I read that Kobe's pilot had to get special permission to fly. Eyewitnesses said they saw the helicopter was flying low and was struggling, though they couldn't make everything out because it was so foggy. They said it didn't sound right. A former pilot who used to fly Kobe in the Chopper said that he believed that bad weather may have been the cause of the crash even moreso than mechanical issues.These articles have some more details about what happened:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/weather-conditions-eyed-in-kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-officials-say

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-26/aircraft-slams-into-hillside-explodes-in-flames-near-calabasas

We will learn more after they conduct their investigation, but its sounding like this is something that could have been prevented. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

This reminds me of the Aaliyah crash when there were reports that they were urged not to bring all of their equipment on the plane because it would be overweight and the production people insisted on bringing every piece of equipment onboard.  The pilot should have insisted that they not overload the small plane and emphasized that it could be the difference between life or death.

Also JFK Jr. who insisted on flying his wife and S-I-L to a wedding even though he had only recently gotten his license. He had made what were described as rookie errors that had a fatal outcome.

• Members

Yeah, these types of mistakes really could be the difference between life and death. One of the things that I think people can try and learn from situations like these is it really is better to be safe than sorry. Always air on the side of caution. Especially if there are dangerous/potentially life threatening risks. If it's not safe to do something including fly for some reason, Then don't fly. Until it's safe to do, or you meet the regulations to do so. I know in various situations people may think what's the harm in going against recommendations, or think they can make it doing some violations, but it could be the difference between living and dying.  

Edited by xtr

• Members

IA.  And I do apologize to everyone for bringing up past allegations against Kobe at this time.  However, when I hear or read all the glowing tributes to the man -- not just to his skills as a basketball player, but his personal life as well -- I must admit it...concerns me, for lack of a better word.

Again, though, I apologize -- and you won't hear anymore from me on this particular subject.

• Members

I have no room to speak on this as I'm not really that into sports, but I can see what you meant. Others in the media were much more crass than you and seized on the topic to try to promote themselves. 

Edited by DRW50