Y&R January 2020 Discussion Thread

• Members

Random ramblings

Poor Nate - a doctor without a hospital or a home - destined, like so many others, to frequent Crimson Lights/Society/ Grand Pheonix

Of course Nate is not alone - Devon has no business set, the police station seems to have vanished so Paul and Rey wander around.

Adam worked at the much hyped Dark Horse set, but that too seems gone.

Micheal, Lauren have nowhere to live and work. But Fenmores is going gangbusters, with no reference to how badly traditional retail is doing IRL

What happened to Gloria?

Crimson Lights needs a makeover into a more contemporary venue - maybe that will attract more customers than the one or two that are shown.

The whole Kyle/Lola story was derailed by having them marry so soon. They should have strung out the Summer/Kyle marriage, leaving Lola vulnerable to Theo who plays both Lola and Summer to payback Kyle. 

Kyle should have been more like early Jack - self centred and a bit of a user. Jack would now be in the position of having to deal with what his own Dad did.

Like the idea of Jill/Jack getting re-involved in some way....

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me, they went through all the trouble of snatching MS from GH, potentially alienating an audience who had gotten used to Gina’s interpretation, and then did nothing with Phyllis except turn her into a Lucy Coe-type comic relief busybody. They would have been better off keeping GT, who was better suited to this type of material by virtue of being a more versatile actress, than pairing MS with Melissa Ordway, nuAdam, and nuChance. They really haven’t made much hay out of her being the OG Phyllis, as the show has recently marginalized the one person who she had really clicked with over the years, Peter Bergman. I don’t think she’s responsible for the falling ratings, but her treatment is indicative of why ratings had been falling in the first place: she walked into a show with zero forward momentum or purpose.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I wonder if JG had a real plan for most of the characters he's brought back?   I'm not sure how much they can promote OG Phyllis when most of the other characters that Stafford played off best are gone and according to many, she and PB aren't even interacting at all onscreen.  I wonder what's the deal with that? 

I meant absent, not really gone, although Dru, Malcolm, Danny are all not on the canvas and what about Paul and Christine are they still mostly offscreen these days?

• Members

The problem with Y&R is that it is just plain boring.  There is only one good storyline- Sharon, and the rest is crap.  I fast forward through everything with Billy and Victoria.  This Billy does not have chemistry with Amelia.  It is time for him to go into a new orbit- Chloe, or bring back someone like Amber or just something else. 

• Members

JG brought back the people he likes without any big plans. Was Y&R missing Kevin, Chloe and Chelsea?

MS wants to be paired with younger men. Her scenes with Chance were embarassing. 

She bores me in all her scenes and I feel that the character should have been written out years ago. She has a very toxic presence for some reason. 

• Members

Too many characters past their used by dates. Unfortunately there wasn't enough investment in the next generation and they kept Victor/Jack/Nikki/Victoria/Nick/Sharon/Phyllis etc frontburner in poorly planned stories

I men Jack has been married like 7 times and some of them  - Nikki round 2. Emily. Sharon- had no long term impact except to make everyone involved look foolish.

I wonder if Bill Bell would have done another cull ala Brooks/Fosters at some point or would the pressure from Sony/CBS to play it safe kept that from happening?

• Members

Frankly, Bill Bell never gave any f**ks what anyone thought.  He did what he (and he alone) felt was best for his shows; and if he had decided to revamp Y&R once more, with new characters, then that's what he was gonna do.

I miss Bill Bell's writing so much.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's always seemed to be about Stafford wanting all the young hunks. I've come to expect it at this point. It's so tired.

Chelsea, Kevin and Chloe are all utterly useless and should not be onscreen.

Edited by Vee