Taoboi

Y&R January 2020 Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, Vee said:

It's always seemed to be about Stafford wanting all the young hunks. I've come to expect it at this point. It's so tired.

Chelsea, Kevin and Chloe are all utterly useless and should not be onscreen.

Out of all the storylines that were introduced in the past 10-13 years, the ones involving Chloe had to be the most disappointing ones. 

Chloe could have and should have been as important a character as Nick or Victoria Newman.  Named after Katherine Chancellor, born to Esther Valentine, Chloe could have been an illustration of the tensions of being privy to a life of affluence yet fully being fully aware that she is not a part of it, being the daughter of the maid to a wealthy society doyenne.  TPTB truly missed a chance to make an adolescent and maturing Chloe that "restless" part of "Y&R" as young adult Chloe fully comprehends class tensions and all that goes with this.  Chloe and "Chance" really should have at least grown up in each other's orbit with people like Jill intent to keep the dividing line between the daughter of "the help" away from the future scion of an influential family as Nina is at first supportive of a platonic friendship, then wary of a blossoming romance, as she worries that Chloe and her volatility will upend Chance's future.

It was all there, had anyone had an imagination.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, DramatistDreamer said:

The actor who was cast as Scott was nothing special, to be frank but the storylines were also terrible. The characterization was all over the place as well. 

You have to have an actual story for these characters. The actor can't exist in a vacuum, devoid of story. Otherwise he's just an extra. 

I've yet to read of Fen having an actual story. Being an addict isn't a story in of itself. An addict who has been shaking down his mother, who still struggles to keep Fenmore's from going bankrupt, that's more of a story. It's a story for Lauren though. For Fen, it would be that Fen tries to stay sober while rebuilding his life and say, falls in love with someone he shouldn't which threatens his sobriety--that's more along a story. 

Yeah, I was sorry about the all over the place characterization. As a legacy character through Lauren/Sheila it was a shame they did not do more. But I like SOME of what they tried. 

As for the bold, in a perfect world that person could have been Ana. ;) But you are saying what we were discussing. That there are so many angles they could take with Fen now and even then...and boom. The story writes itself...which you just yourself did brilliantly. So sad that is not what is happening. 

I think I would've avoided saddling Fenmore with a drug addiction, since I don't believe we've known him enough (as an adult) to care (beyond how Michael and Lauren are affected, of course).

7 hours ago, Khan said:

I think I would've avoided saddling Fenmore with a drug addiction, since I don't believe we've known him enough (as an adult) to care (beyond how Michael and Lauren are affected, of course).

I could've thought of a ton of other scenarios that wouldn't have involved Fen as a drug addict but I was going from what had already existed in Fen's recent history, now that it's been done.  Of course, someone could ignore it, at the risk of the integrity of the writing, which is what soaps often do which sets them up for ridicule.  Fen being an addict is not ideal but anyone who wants to write the character with any integrity can't ignore it. 

Had he just experimented, that would be one thing but it was big enough for him to go to rehab. Can't be ignored afaic.

2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I could've thought of a ton of other scenarios that wouldn't have involved Fen as a drug addict but I was going from what had already existed in Fen's recent history, now that it's been done.  Of course, someone could ignore it, at the risk of the integrity of the writing, which is what soaps often do which sets them up for ridicule.  Fen being an addict is not ideal but anyone who wants to write the character with any integrity can't ignore it. 

Had he just experimented, that would be one thing but it was big enough for him to go to rehab. Can't be ignored afaic.

Oh, I definitely agree with what you're saying, @DramatistDreamer.  You have to work with what's there.  I'm just saying.

5 hours ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

VCwsWHT.jpgnew Crimson lights...BUJDyko.jpg

I love how the computer-simulated man looks as if he can't make up his mind about what to order; and how the computer-simulated barista has her arms folded, as if to say, "For Christ's sake, IT'S JUST COFFEE!".

Chrimson Lights is dated and actually never was a beautiful set, but it is a staple and was one of those biiiig sets. Too be honest, I think the new set is just going half the size and easier to populate with extras in today’s tiny budget world.

Crimson Lights should not be changed - especially considering the poor taste they have today when it comes to sets. That project looks ordinary and lame.