DAYS: Possible upcoming "event" spoiler

• Members

Marlena's possession was really the end of Days for me. Oh, don't get me wrong, I watched it every day. It was so audacious, I just couldn't believe they were going there. But it destroyed all of my investment in the show and its history, and in Marlena, who had always been one of my favorite characters. It was clear, especially in the denouement to the storyline, that nothing that happened on this show mattered. 

And don't get me started on the Salem Stalker -- Reilly didn't even bother to try to make any sense of that. Marlena murdered all these people, but she didn't really, but we saw her do it on screen and the "victims" were buried before they were magically transported to a tropical island. Was everything we saw the Stalker do just a figment of Marlena's imagination? Were the victims also hypnotized so they just thought they were being murdered by Marlena? More importantly, why do I bother with questions about this idiotic tripe?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's why I don't 100% buy the story that JER had planned all along to bring back all the Salem Stalker's victims OR reveal that "Tony" had brainwashed Marlena into believing she was the culprit.  JER could be very sloppy in his storytelling, but not THAT sloppy.

• Members

I wish full episodes from the early 80's were available to watch on YT again. Not only would I love to see the full three prisms story, I'd love to see a lot of other things from that time like the Neil/Liz/Marie triangle, the Anna/Tony/Renee/David situation, etc.

It was way too half-assed and created way too many plot holes. I never stopped watching Days, but I do believe that it took years for the show to recover from that.

• Members

Thank you both, @AbcNbc247 and cranky @Khan, I am pretty sure that I wasn't watching that, just missed it. You did a fine job of telling a clarification to a lifelong DOOL fan. And, I've been more than clear about how stoopid I think this Stacy Haiduk business has been! Even if they hadn't had ED as RealKristen, they could've done some level of better Kristen story!

I had stopped watching by that Salem Stalker. I just read about it then. I hung in there through DevilDoc even though fully half my DOOL friends quit the show then. As a matter of fact, it was during DevilDoc that a RATS committee (RATSmers and RATSaers) began to write some fine RATS fanfic named AltDAYS. It was great writing from DOOL fans & GH fans. Mostly "peels" & "cores".

Edited by Donna B
Add 1 line of text.

• Members

It's funny you say that about GL, because aside from them going completely off the charts from 1998 through 2001, GL was always a down-to-earth slice of life kind of show, like ATWT and AW (fellow P&G soaps). This was TPTB's way of competing with then-popular DAYS, along with the over-the-top NBC sudsers, Passions and Sunset Beach (low rated, but high demos, especially Passions).  They came back down to reality from 2002 til the end. 

+1  I wish Bryan Dattilo was on contract. I never understood why Lucas is always given the scraps. I don't care if he's not as tall as EJ or Austin. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

Just saw the mardevil storyline scene which "Isabella" turns into a deamon....they...they didnt haaaaave to add that part. Meanwhile everyone else in Salem is carrying on with relatively normal plots ex. Jack & Jennifer.

This was just oddly placed in a show in which nothing else supernatural occurs.

• Members

I agree in that GL started going off the rails in the mid 90s with Amish/ghost/clone Reeva and Annie 2.0. Prior to that they didn't seem too extreme to me (from what I've seen).

Supernatural and OTT stories have their place but soaps, especially given their budgetary limits and prior attempts,  should stay clear of them.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Well, there was a period in the mid-'80's when GL attempted to lure away GH viewers with stories such as the Dreaming Death (a tropical disease that killed off Lesley Ann Monroe), Infinity (David Preston brainwashed Billy Lewis into shooting his presumed half-brother, Kyle Sampson -- this storyline ultimately ended with Lujack's death) and Miss Piper/Barbados (which killed off Hillary Bauer and revealed that Brandon Spaulding had not died and was, in fact, living with his African-American wife and children).

Personally, I loved those stories.  As OTT and uncharacteristic as they might have been for GL, I still believe they were far more entertaining than crap like Ghost/Amish/Clone/Princess Reva or everything related to San Cristobel.

I feel the same way, @teplin

Staci Greason (ex-Isabella) has made several, brief appearances since she left DAYS and acting behind.  I don't see why Renee Jones wouldn't be up for making a tiny cameo at the end, too.

DARK SHADOWS is a prime example, though, of a soap where the supernatural storylines worked -- and that's because they were part of the show from day one.  (Well, almost from day one.  I don't think Laura Collins, the phoenix and (I think) DS' first supernatural character, was introduced until after the first 13 weeks.)

Of course, the downside to being a "niche soap" like DS was that it never appealed to the mainstream soap viewer.  Ergo, it shouldn't have been surprising that it ran only five years.

Edited by Khan