GH: Actors on a break

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I missed this ... why did Frank want to get rid of him?

And so many on Twitter are hoping Phelps comes back! LAAAAWD. I hate Frank but lawd no to Phelps. Never ever never ever. If she returns, I'd just cancel the show at that point. Probably what ABC wants. I think it's just fanwishing, but how soon they forget, while maybe she had great production values, she absolutely gutted the show of it's heart and soul. Genie and Becky Herbst better start packing up their dressing room if Phelps ever darkens the doors again. 

But you just know Gary Tomlin's probably chomping at the bit to get that job ... lawd ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

For the few good things he did at DAYS he did far more that was awful.  I also thought his stint at OLTL was a campy mess.

The only thing I absolutely loved on his OLTL was Asa’s death and all his ex wives showing up for the funeral.

On DAYS he wrote some good stuff at times, Nick’s storylines (although I think he had him go too dark and it was a waste to kill him off).  The EJ and Abby affair was kind of hot and he did some good writing for Will.

He is among the talents that I do not want to have too much power anymore.

Phelps, for all her faults is ten times the producer that Tomlin is.  And I hate what she did to GH, GL, and OLTL.  I hate her FOJ’s and her bland heroines and her misogyny.  But Tomlin is not a good pick for any of these shows.

• Members

I think talk here is when he was EP at Days 2008-11, right? Then he was HW 2012-15?

What about Lisa DeCozette, Ginger Smith, Jen Pepperman, Michelle Henry, Mercy Barrows or Mary Kay Weir?

Edited by John

• Members

I think Valentini produces a more attractive package than Tomlin does.  Valentini’s GH looks like it has a limited budget, but we have varied sets and the show looks pretty good visually lately.  I thought Tomlin’s OLTL looked inexpensive back in the day, and his DAYS looked downright cheap and awful during his stint as EP.

Sadly, I do not think there is anyone that these networks would hire that could do a better job.  That’s the truth.  They stopped developing talent and they won’t go outside (Mal Young’s spectacular failure at Y&R has nailed that coffin shut I think).

Outside of someone like Ed Scott being poached, or Riche being lured out of network retirement, I don’t see anyone with the skill and clout needed to get a better job done than Valentini.  And I’m not a fan of his anymore.

• Members

Tomlin fired Deidre Hall (!) and Drake Hogestyn. As head writer, he got rid of Matt Ashford, Christie Clark, Patrick Muldoon, Lisa Rinna, Drake again, and Bryan Dattilo (took him off contract). He tried to supplant Marlena’s role on the show with Maggie. He’s the reason KDP was miscast as Eve (she said he hired her). He was awful and prevented me from watching for years. Oh I hate the man with every fibre of my being. Gary Tomlin can rot in hell!!!

Please register in order to view this content

Oh and don’t even get me started on Tomlin’s FIRST run, when he turned the show’s lead heroine Marlena into a rape victim. UGGGGGH. 

Ultimately I’d rather keep FV than risk ending up with GT, who would likely fire Genie, meaning I’d stop watching again.

• Members

Oh! And top it off, Tomlin had ED for a YEAR but only used her as Kristen and not her other characters!!! That god damn IDIOT!! Eric was a priest at the time. It would have made so much sense to include Sister Mary Moira. Not to mention EJ was eating up screentime and could have benefited from having his mother around.

Along with Tomlin and de Cazotte, he got rid of my faves (especially Matt Ashford), leading me to not watch Days for nearly six and a half years. 

Edited by Marlenaphan