Celebrities on Soaps

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dick just couldn't get enough the soaps, I guess. He appeared at least twice on GL (judging the Sampson Girl contest with James Coco and Tammy Grimes, then interviewing Mindy) and on Texas (as a celebrity guest on the game show Texas Tall Tales). 

• Members

Rick Springfield was known before joining GH but I think his being on the show at a time in the early 80s when it was extremely popular helped in terms of his visibility for his music career. 

Ricky Martin was also famous before GH, having been in Menudo. I don't know that being on the show necessarily helped much but, of course, post GH, his music career reignited.

Well-known character actor John Fiedler did double stints on OLTL, first as Virgil (the angel that guided Viki to Heaven) and then as just regular guy, Gilbert. 

Les Tremayne, another old Hollywood actor, was Victor Lord in that same Heaven storyline and also subbed for David Lewis (himself also an old character actor) for a time on GH. Frank Maxwell (Dan Rooney, GH) can also be seen on many old tv shows prior to starting on GH in the 70s. We may not always remember their names or watch some of those old shows & movies anymore but these guys had extensive bodies of work before the soaps. Larry Gates (HB Lewis, GL) would be another one. Joseph Campanella & Nita Talbot others.

Kim Hunter was Nola Madison on EON. Arlene Dahl came to OLTL for several years in the 80s. Anne Meara on AMC.

• Members

For some reason, I'm remembering Michael McDonald (the singer, not the "MADtv" cast member) being on Y&R.  Did that actually happen, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Also, didn't Jeffrey Osborne appear on (I think) SB, and Johnny Mathis and Patti Austin on ATWT?

To me, though, he'll always be the voice of Piglet and Mr. Peterson on "The Bob Newhart Show."

Archived