Sign in to follow this  
j swift

Best/Worst Network Promo Campaigns

3 minutes ago, Darn said:

The quality in that first EE promo is out of this world. I don't think that story was very well received though.

It was until the reveal. The aftermath ruined so many characters that still haven't recovered.

UK soap promos have had excellent promos but many times the stories are nowhere near as good. Here are the two strongest examples of good promo [!@#$%^&*] story.

There's also this promo, which is just...hilarious, and completely out of proportion with anything that actually happened onscreen, but Julie Goodyear sells it.

47 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

UK soap promos have had excellent promos but many times the stories are nowhere near as good. Here are the two strongest examples of good promo [!@#$%^&*] story.

This is...ridiculous. No way did whatever they did live up to the dramatics of this promo, it just couldn't.

12 minutes ago, Darn said:

This is...ridiculous. No way did whatever they did live up to the dramatics of this promo, it just couldn't.

Can you imagine the disappointment of people tuning in only to find a bunch of people running around a farm?

1 minute ago, All My Shadows said:

Can you imagine the disappointment of people tuning in only to find a bunch of people running around a farm?

Hahaha, watching that promo prompted me to look up the show and her return and wow they really sold a bill of goods there.

Also she was only back for a WEEK apparently?

10 minutes ago, Darn said:

Hahaha, watching that promo prompted me to look up the show and her return and wow they really sold a bill of goods there.

Also she was only back for a WEEK apparently?

She's coming back for a regular stint in a few months, this was just a return until she went into panto, but the week was not up to much, to put it kindly. 

I have to hand it to the UK and elsewhere, though.  At least they put some effort (and money) into their promos, which is more than I could say for the U.S. soaps of today.

A teenager coming on to the psycho more than twice her age who had her cloned from the DNA of his dead wife. Very sexy, CBS.

7 hours ago, DRW50 said:

She's coming back for a regular stint in a few months, this was just a return until she went into panto, but the week was not up to much, to put it kindly. 

That's quite an understatement. It was, quite frankly, horrible in every aspect.

On 2/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, amybrickwallace said:

The cheesy 80s were the best!!!

That was cheesy for the 80s..it was even worse when Conboy brought that back for a Fashion in what 2002? Oh, old queens who don't move with the times.

That promo for the clone reminded me of why I hated it so much, not so much the sci-fi but I could never stand Josh after that and I don't think Reva would have ever forgiven him...he came off like a lecherous psycho.  It also shows how JL was wasted as both teen clone and Michele, she would have been great as a tough as nails Stacy Chamberlin or some other bad girl.

On the GL Facebook page Jill Hurst sometimes post and she brought up the "great work that Robert and Kim did" when everyone was dissing the storyline...to her credit she did say she didn't like sc--fi stuff and engaged with class.  Its just interesting to see what bts people think of the stuff that goes on the air compared to the viewers. Sometimes they are too close to the cast etc...(as in, who cares what kind of work they did, the storyline sucked...)

Edited by Mitch

Seeing Michael Zaslow still makes my eyes well up 20 years later :(

I remember the time this happened - it was around when I first started reading soap magazines. It was seen as something of a death knell for GL. If the show hadn't gotten a brief boost in late 95/early 96 I don't know if it would have survived.