Vet let go at Y&R

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. It does feel like JFP's era -- only even more grey, generic and boring, and with less buzz, if that is possible. When JFP started making her changes, people on here were actually saying "Wait and see. She is going to make the sets look great again" -- lol -- "we are going to get some good recasts finally!" There was hope, especially when she got rid of some characters that weren't gelling and brought in Cynthia Watros for a few precious weeks. Then it started becoming a Frons-era ABC soap and we all knew then there was no hope.

IA @Faulkner this is driven by Sony/CBS and not just Mal. They brought JFP on because the budget under MAB was out of control. She was tasked (as she was with AW and other shows) to bring down the budget. The revamped Chancellor mansion was her undoing, though, because it was badly received, it cost money, and it was for a set that TPTB did not intend on using all that much. So she was turfed out. Basically, the penny-counters from up top have been on Y&R's case since JFP came and went. I absolutely think this spate of firings is being driven by them and not just by Mal.

• Members

I've literally stopped watching months ago. 

I used to read spoilers, summaries, etc.  I've recently stopped doing this.  Now, I engage in discussions mainly about BTS drama but I've got no interest left in Y&R. (I lost complete interest in B&B about a year ago).

These are two out of the three soaps that were staples in my household growing up (the other was ATWT)!

• Members

I think the reason he’s speaking out now is because his final two shows are coming up and he hasn’t been called back for anything else. He said his last two episodes are with a new character, Im guessing Rey and it probably isn’t anything substantial. 

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with Paul leaving if the show were in better shape, but we know the true purpose of this. Just a couple years back he won a Best Actor Emmy and he does do good work. I also think it’s distasteful to fire him for his 40th anniversary. I’ve long thought Heather should return which gives him story and also gives the show a lawyer who is connected to a core family. I still hate they ditched Jennifer Landon which made no sense. Christine has always longed for a child so that is something that could be pursued. Perhaps a triangle with Neil or Jack. My point is there is story there if you want it. I’m not saying keep him on contract but you can still use your vets in a meaningful way while still bringing on new characters. It’s just instead of a new family, why not take those six slots and beef up each of your existing families? Hell, if you want a Latino family why not recast Isabella and connect her to Rey and Arturo? What about Raul and his family? They simply don’t care about honoring history which is the problem. 

• Members

Mal doesn't have them on mute. He has been known to respond to folks. One cursed him out and he responded with something to the effect of "you're real classy, eh". He's reading his mentions daily. 

Same! I don't care about story anymore. But BTS drama is always interesting. 

DD doesn't give a damn about history period. He complained about newbies but had no issue with JFP handed Dylan the show because it gave him airtime. He complains about history but was gungho over the retcon dead so with Nikki because it gave him airtime. He's self serving. And still, CBS/Sony is wrong to push him out. 

• Members

They can't keep everyone as these shows are changing and fighting for survival.  Daytime soaps will soon be a thing of the past.  Cost cutting is where it all begins.  YR is doing a hatchet job.  DD was on recurring as it should be with some vets, but perhaps talking chit on Twitter comes back to bite you in the ass. 

• Members
While I am a bit surprised (as some elsewhere made it seem he was untouchable for some reason?)     I also know he is barely shown and his s/l's have not been good under quite a few writers.

I remember when Brad ( A Veteran) was killed off in such a gruesome way and then his daughter another legacy character was also killed off?  I was completely crushed over Brad (Don) had a lot of story left along with his daughters.  Also crushed on how they let him leave the show, then Colleen (without any chance of recast??) 

I think it's been under quite a few writers certain characters should have not gone. 

Mal has a lot going on wrong BUT  let's face facts.....Paul has not been good under a lot of different writers.  I would say over a decade now. 

• Members

Budget is now being cut I suppose. but, DD...this is what also happens when you get on Twitter and start running off at that mouth. not only was he not being written for, he killed his job by complaining and then saying "I was taken out of context". 

• Members

"Recurring" is just a code word for FIRED. But they leave open the hope that they get called in. He's not guaranteed a single appearance. He was fired.

Wasn't Doug just thrilled to death when Mal got promoted? I knew it wouldn't get him anywhere but I didn't think it'd get him axed.

I agree with Chit on one hand but at the same time, he gave the show 40 years. That's trash to toss him out. And don't tout the recurring thing. That's lip service. It means different things in different situations.

And this too. He should have kept his mouth shut.

• Members

These shows aren't going to survive, not beyond single digit years.  It would be nice if at least one learned how to wind down with some dignity.

From what I remember Doug was very gung-ho about Mal's ascension, particularly to head writer.  Perhaps it was based on that bulls*t interview he did at the beginning of his regime but this should be a cautionary tale to 'be careful what you wish for'.

Maybe I should amend what I stated.  He may or may not have all/some on mute but he still doesn't give two sh*ts what they think.  He's doing what he wants to do regardless of tweets.

• Members

Agreed they can't keep everyone. And recurring for DD is best for the show. But he clearly thinks that his character will disappear. Probably because they have the new Latino cop to do what he did. I think his concern is valid. I think the same thing. Getting rid of Paul for Rey comes from the same place as CBS/Sony getting rid of Winters for the Latino family. Note, I didn't say it was the same because the context is different. But the show is making the decision for the same reason. 

Who has been good though?

I've ways thought that Mal played up to every fanbase. But attempting to give them what they want hasn't done much for him. So now he seems more focused on the favor of his bosses at Sony and CBS. 

Archived