Y&R: Josh Griffith is back (confirmed)...

• Members

Source: https://tvsourcemagazine.com/2018/08/report-josh-griffith-back-at-the-young-and-the-restless/

In the spoiler thread you also have some pretty big news also broken by TV Source. They say he’s coming on as a producer but this seems like him getting his feet wet before taking over. What used to be the most stable show continues this backstage merry go round. 

What are everyone’s thoughts? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, just posted in the monthly thread, but it’s worth having its own. Just cluelessness. I wonder how many more years this show has. It really feels like end times. (All four shows feel that way to me. I think the dominoes will all fall at once.)

And what will happen with the more recent changes the show has undergone? Some of those may be Sony/CBS mandated.

• Members

Josh Griffith's short-lived 2008 run with MAB was forgettable and laughable but did produce some great moments. His 2012-2013 run wasn't too bad, that is until the flip-flop-flip with Summer's paternity mess and dropping up the ball on the Carmine affair. Surprised he's even coming back after JFP(and SONY) fired his ass when he went mysteriously AWOL in 2013. 

His run with Higley at Days in 2015 turned out to be truly horrendous with the Ciara rape story. I have no faith in the man at all. 

• Members

I’ll be careful to address this in two parts. The first one is on what Josh Griffith has done previously.

His go at Head Writer (end on 2007-August 2008), in my opinion, wasn’t awful, if a little dry. He re-introduced Adam the first time around, and levelled things out after Lyn Marie Latham spun the show out of control before the writers strike. I also think he did an admirable job of finding a role to keep Jerry Douglas on screen, even if the premise was a little silly. But Jerry Douglas played the heck out of Alistair Wallingford. Sabrina was quite a departure for the show and for Victor but ultimately I’m not sure how much that worked and it was no surprise she was one of the first people Maria Arena Bell and Hogan Sheffer wrote out when they were given control. In the end it was a calmer but uneven tenure.

His second go around, again, could be called uneven, with Jack’s addiction and trying to explain Sharon’s erratic behaviour by having her diagnosed with bi-polar disorder but seemingly not doing too much to curtail said actions. I believe Nikki was diagnosed with M.S under Griffith and he botched the Summer paternity story, but I will forever be grateful to him for introducing the character of Hilary Curtis and giving Mishael Morgan such a platform. 

And I think I’m in a minority of one when I say that I liked his dark, twisted take on Days of Our Lives. Certainly at the time. Hindsight hasn’t been kind to his overall impact as I certainly don’t agree with all of his steps but I liked the writing in general and think he took risks. Even if it was probably more obvious to those in the know that Joseph Mascolo was getting very ill, I’m not sure about having Stefano be murdered in cold blood by Hope of all people. The casting of the teens yielded mixed results and the fact that only one of the actors chosen at the time remains probably tells you how well that went. Though the Ciara rape story was a really bad decision.

The second part of my response to this news relates to what he could be doing now. Given his patchy past and the repeated cutting off of his legs I wonder how wise it is to potentially turn to him if indeed the higher ups are looking to cash in their chips with Mal Young down the line. People would simply skip the grace period and start counting down to his inevitable ignominious exit from day one, so stability would not be achieved. That’s why, rather naively, I’m going to take this walking and quacking duck as the one it looks to be.

Then again, if there is one thing you can trust the powers that be to do is make the wrong decision...

• Members

Josh Griffith, when he's good (which was a long time ago), is always about the more contemporary stuff - dark, visceral, channeled by music or sex. He wrote a lot of the kinky Troy/Lindsay/Nora affair fallout when he returned to OLTL in 2003. He was the 'youth music' source for Gottlieb and Malone in the 1990s. But he stuck out like a sore thumb at Y&R, the Merchant-Ivory soap. He was always a bad fit, and frankly he's also seemed passionless and dry, going through the motions since leaving OLTL. Every stint is either more mediocre or worse than the last.

His DAYS was very dark and strange. Serial killers, followed by a byzantine, gothic storyline in which Jigsaw from the Saw series was revealed to be John's mercenary-cult leader? father. It was peak Griffith - very strange and specialized but also a bit too much. And then there was having Ciara raped on the Horton couch by her foster brother, which was absolutely unforgivable.

This seems like more rote musical chairs. I've never found Griffith suited for Y&R and I think he's been burned out a long time.

• Members

I agree.  I could be wrong, but I feel like any moment now, we're going to hear that Mal Young has quit/been fired, and that Joshie will be taking over as head writer.

Seriously, is there any way we could convince Sheri Anderson to give it a go?

Archived