Y&R: Josh Griffith is back (confirmed)...

• Members

Yeah, and when they are comfortable enough to replace, bye bye.  I think GH is seriously the next to go.  Strahan's new show as well as Tamron's?  There's no way you do no new eppies for almost a whole week if you are not testing to see if viewers bother to return.  ABCd decided to capitalize off of the labor day weekend to extend the break.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's ok. It is upsetting in the sense that I hate the idea of soaps disappearing... but it is also very clear in which direction they (minus Days at the moment) are going. It stands out with Y&R because once upon a time, the show was #1, the gold standard, at the top of a high pile, and now it has fallen to wretchedly low levels.

I know the rapid decline began with Lynn Marie Latham (and her firing anybody of importance who had worked there decades) and Maria Arena Bell, but it seems to me that when the Bell family were forced to hand over complete control to CBS/Sony, and CBS/Sony hired Jill Farren Phelps to gut the show, the die was well and truly cast.

Seems like TPTB decided to pull off the parts of a beautiful, but broke-down, Rolls Royce and sell them for scrap. They were all in on the secret of letting this show die a slow death, but we weren't. Until now.

• Members

Well, to be fair, GH could be axed any minute, hour, day, etc. It's always been a matter of time, personally. And the right replacement. They haven't actively been trying to replace it, technically (Tamron is likely syndicated and GMA Day replaces The Chew), but they aren't exactly going to go out of their way for it either (this isn't 2010/2011 when it was obvious they were actively trying to replace). I imagine it depends how well GMA Day does. But personally, GH should be very happy ABC wanted to dump The Chew ... when they didn't bother replacing two co-hosts, I knew the show was dying/dead. It makes sense to swap The Chew out for another hour of GMA. The Chew belonged on Food Network.

People thought "Katie" would be the death of GH. Where's she at? (Personally, Tamron is more appealing than GH at this point! And she's sure as hell more appealing than fake good girl Couric)

I think the networks want out of soaps. But CBS needs Y&R to tank to justify it (hmmm ... recycling hacks is a good indicator ... we should have figured this out when they first hired JFP years ago; they know the reputation she has and the writers they've hired have) ... B&B could easily move to CBS All Access and be sold internationally as it still is.

DAYS has the next best chance to survive through Corday and Sony. And NBC seems indifferent at the moment.

Wouldn't it be something if DAYS were the last soap standing (other than B&B)? When DAYS was called dead 11 years ago.

I've tried thinking of where other soaps would be if they were still on the air, but I just can't; I'm almost glad they exist in my memory and we can get glimpses of them through YouTube. And since we aren't getting quality, I'm still of mind that we need to say goodbye and remember these shows as they were. I know you agree on that, lol. I've struggled with that but the shows are all hot messes just existing. They've been "existing" for about 10 years now.

The networks want out, but the remaining soaps have managed to survive through ratings (Y&R/B&B), indifference (NBC) and lack of replacement (GH). It's only a matter of time, honestly. I also think a small part of them knows the intense blowback they'd get. But ABC got massive blowback for AMC/OLTL and didn't care. So ... 

• Members

Sony goes to bat for their shows, primetime too. I could see Sony wanting DAYS and Y&R online someday. But that seems like a stretch at this point. I feel like once they're done, they're going to be done. Except maybe B&B. And DAYS never seems to die even when Zucker outright said so in 2007 that DAYS was all but dead. Here it is, 11 years later. But it's still vulnerable. I feel like Corday would try to move it online. But it seems like a difficult process. And he's half checked out most of the time.

And yeah, they feel very indifferent. I guess right now that's a good thing for the show. I don't know why I see both DAYS and B&B online only at some point, but I could. If they made the effort. But maybe it's wishful thinking.

• Members

Sony does care about their shows - all of them. They’ll work with a network or station group to keep a show on the air. They’re financial projections in terms of ratings are very conservative so I think that works to their advantage 90% of the time. Days is a cheap show to produce (about $700,000 a week) and it would be terribly expensive to replace unless they gave the slot to local stations and I doubt NBC wants to lose more of their daytime revenue. 

Apparently, Josh Griffith is only a temp hire. That’s all I can say for now. 

• Members

I agree. Saying Sony cares about their shows and then adding that DAYS is cheap to produce? Huh? DAYS looks like it’s produced by a studio that doesn’t care about how the final product looks. It’s claustrophobic and cheap.

If Sony “cared,” there’d be more money for DAYS instead of horrible or ruined sets, lousy actor guarantees, etc. 

• Members

I’m no fan of Days and never have been, but, to be fair, Corday Productions owns the show, not Sony. Sony is merely their agent which negotiates their deals with NBC and other worldwide distributors. How Corday uses the money that Sony raises for the show is down to Corday. The actors, studio, writers, producers, etc. contract with Corday, not Sony, so to blame Sony for a product that they don’t produce is a bit unfair. 

I could say more about his temp hire, but I’m not allowed. From what I’ve heard, he won’t be there to replace Mal. 

Archived