Y&R: Josh Griffith is back (confirmed)...

• Members

Once Griffith is made HW again, I can expect a major decision will be made regarding Dina's future. I can see him having her diagnosed with a brain tumor and eventually undergoing surgery to remove it, or he just may kill her off. That's just Griffith, when he gets things right(like Sharon's diagnosis and the cyberbullying storyline/Paul taking in a young ward), he's on point, but when he gets things wrong, he does everlasting harm to the very fabric of the show. 

Was it Griffith that created the characters of Tyler, Leslie, and Mason?

Edited by MichaelGL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
21 minutes ago, MichaelGL said:

Once Griffith is made HW again, I can expect a major decision will be made regarding Dina's future. I can see him having her diagnosed with a brain tumor and eventually undergoing surgery to remove it, or he just may kill her off. That's just Griffith, when he gets things right(like Sharon's diagnosis and the cyberbullying storyline/Paul taking in a young ward), he's on point, but when he gets things wrong, he does everlasting harm to the very fabric of the show. 

Was it Griffith that created the characters of Tyler, Leslie, and Mason?

Tyler and Mason I think so. Leslie, I believe, was introduced under Maria Arena Bell.

Arguably Josh Griffith’s biggest success, character wise, was Hilary.

• Members

Didn't Paul only have a young ward for about ten minutes?

I thought the idea behind the Tyler/Leslie story was decent but the execution was poor, and Redaric Williams was limited - bad writing did not help him.

Edited by Vee

• Members
7 hours ago, KMan101 said:

+1000

I saw it for the mistake it was the moment he was announced as both. I also mused they were letting him hang himself out to dry, so to speak. Basically he would either sink or swim and he sank. And sank. And sank. And sank.

I'm disappointed the show is in this position but I'm not surprised under Mal. 

Let's see ...

Jack's not an Abbott. So neither is his only son on the canvas, Kyle.

Ashley's not an Abbott. So Eileen is leaving.

Traci, a blood Abbott, is barely recurring, if that. (Though Mal used her more than some)

Billy, who's been recast several times, and Phyllis, a de-aged recast, are now taking over the show.

Two African American actresses were shown the door. (I.E. FIRED) Including one they should have done everything possible to hang on to.

Mal "no new characters" Young is now populating the show with new characters.

Nick is dark for no reason.

Victoria is MIA (thank god for small favors?) but before that was dominating the airtime and, she too, is a recast. But she's been here long enough that she, unfortunately, is Victoria now.

Victoria's son Reed was shipped off.

Lauren who? Paul who? Michael who? (Though at one time I would have loved less Christian LeBlanc) Neil who? Dina who?

Arturo, Rey and Lola are replacing the Winters clan. But yet Daniel Goddard remains employed. Hmm. If Goddard wouldn't fight his character being shady I'd have no issues. I actually liked Cane vs. Victoria and how nasty they got. That felt so much more in character for both of them.

The Abbots are more or less erased, the Newmans are all useless (Noah was dumped; Mariah is aimless) ... I mean, I can't believe I'm defending the Newmans, who I've long wanted a break from.

I could go on. Matt Hanvey on Twitter posted a nice little reminder of how far down Mal has taken the show.

But man ... I truly do not recognize this show.

The producers also need to tell the actors they are tired of letting them dictate things. Sorry Josh Morrow, we don't care you don't want Shick. Do your job.

Mal's a dark writer. No different than Guza/Pratt, Phelps, McTavish at her worst, MAB at her worst, Tom Langan on DAYS ... sigh.

Always ended up messy, dark and everyone hates each other. Sounds like Mal's Y&R! I don't like my soaps miserable all the time. I want drama, not misery, not everyone hating each other and fighting. If I want to see miserable people I watch UK soaps

Please register in order to view this content
 lol. They're often dark and miserable. But they also have light stuff. There can be a balance.

You’re so right about all of this, especially about all the messy, dark, and hating. 

Already I’m tired of hearing Devon hate on Lily, nd now we’re going to get even more of that. While I loved seeing Lily taken down a peg, now it’s overkill and I’m starting to hate Devon.

You’re right about Nick. I’m a Josh Morrow fan, but he has no business dictating story, or being listened to. He says he wants to go dark? Just no. The answer is no.

Mariah, as you said, is aimless. Perfect word for her. She’s nothing but a talk-to, except when she’s talking about COMPLETELY OFF-CAMERA Tessa.

I’m also a fan of Jason Thompson, but he’s never been and will never be a hunk. Having Summer lust over him does not work. JT’s forte is not sexual chemistry.

• Members

Soaps keep recycling trash scribes because they don't care about or want the shows any longer.  They just need someone who can get respectable ratings until viewers are done.  Look at GH testing the waters.  They'd probably cancel before allowing Frank to fire another HW.  

• Members
5 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

Soaps keep recycling trash scribes because they don't care about or want the shows any longer.  They just need someone who can get respectable ratings until viewers are done.  Look at GH testing the waters.  They'd probably cancel before allowing Frank to fire another HW.  

This. Just letting them tread water until the inevitable drowning.

• Members

When I look at the present state of Y&R now, it has many of the hallmarks of soaps that went on to cancellation in less than five years.  I'm not saying I'm right, IJS...

One big red flag is a bunch of new characters in a short amount of time.  And let's not use Bill Bell, the show's creator as a counter example because he was methodical compared to what is happening now and the show, in general didn't suffer in the short term because of his new castmembers because the writing was still compelling from what we've seen of classic episodes. 

Namely, Bell didn't create new characters/families as a last-ditch effort to 'save' the show as what's clearly happening now.

ATWT, for example exhibited these signs a few years before it was canceled and the show's degradation took place over a decade, not in one year.  

I won't post about this again because I get the distinct feeling it may be upsetting to a few posters who still watch the show.